Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Upgrade?

Old 08-27-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Tire Upgrade?

Hello all! We recently purchase a new 2015 F150 Lariat FX4 and a 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail 270bh travel trailer. We did purchase the Equalizer 4 point system for weight distribution and sway control. The truck tows the camper great I think... I have never towed before so I have nothing to compare it too but there is no sway. The only issue I think that prevents it from being a great experience is a decent bit of a floaty feeling under 55mph. Not sure if that is normal but I have been reading that I should look at LT tires and I don't see anything indicating it is an LT tire. It is the Goodyear Adventure that comes factory on the Lariat. I am a huge Michelin fan and usually only buy those... Would the Michelin be a better tire and possibly help with the float versus the current tire? (Also we did up the pressure from about 35 to 43 when towing and saw a small improvement)
Old 08-28-2015, 05:46 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Upgrading the tire rating will help but with any new set of tires they all will have a floating feeling for a short time as they get some miles on them.Im not sure if its the heat/cool cycle or just a small wear amount stops the soft feeling. I drove a rollback f450 for a lot of years and dreaded every new set of tires ,I wouldn't jump ship until you get 3-4k on the stock set imo
The following users liked this post:
msd5052001 (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 08:01 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

I chose Michelin LTX MS/2 All-Season LT-Es and so far they've been great, except in the mud or on wet grass.
(Interesting: I didn't put any links in here. Looks like the forum has found a new way to generate revenue.)

But I wasn't really happy with my truck's feel when towing until I stiffened the suspension (including upgraded shocks) AND went to LT tires. Most stock half-tons have really soft suspensions because they're mostly used as commuters and grocery-getters.

Also you can get a floaty sensation with a WDH setup that doesn't return enough weight to the front axle. Make sure you are reducing the front-end lift by 50-100%.

Running a half-ton at its weight limits requires a fair amount of attention but is definitely doable. A visit to a CAT scale and working out all your axle weights can be very helpful.

Last edited by brulaz; 08-28-2015 at 08:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by brulaz:
msd5052001 (08-28-2015), Ricktwuhk (09-06-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

The Goodyear Adventure tire is made in both LT and passenger-car versions. Additionally there are 10 different base tire combinations that come on the 2015 F150 depending on model, trim, and options. Your best bet is to take the tire specification off the sidewall and match it against the tire manufacture specs to see if it's already an LT tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....re+with+Kevlar

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...F-150_v1-0.pdf
(page-15)
Old 08-28-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by xcntrk
The Goodyear Adventure tire is made in both LT and passenger-car versions. Additionally there are 10 different base tire combinations that come on the 2015 F150 depending on model, trim, and options. Your best bet is to take the tire specification off the sidewall and match it against the tire manufacture specs to see if it's already an LT tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....re+with+Kevlar

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...F-150_v1-0.pdf
(page-15)
I will check this out tonight, thanks. I do know it is the 20 inch wheel and I don't see an LT on any of the 20 inch wheels, so does that mean they aren't LT?
This trailer towing stuff is crazy... I spent 9 months trying to find the right trailer and truck combination and not go with what the RV salespeople were trying to overload me on, it was crazy what they were telling me I could safely pull...
Old 08-28-2015, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by brulaz
I chose Michelin LTX MS/2 All-Season LT-Es and so far they've been great, except in the mud or on wet grass.
(Interesting: I didn't put any links in here. Looks like the forum has found a new way to generate revenue.)

But I wasn't really happy with my truck's feel when towing until I stiffened the suspension (including upgraded shocks) AND went to LT tires. Most stock half-tons have really soft suspensions because they're mostly used as commuters and grocery-getters.

Also you can get a floaty sensation with a WDH setup that doesn't return enough weight to the front axle. Make sure you are reducing the front-end lift by 50-100%.

Running a half-ton at its weight limits requires a fair amount of attention but is definitely doable. A visit to a CAT scale and working out all your axle weights can be very helpful.
Your tire is pretty much all I have had on my vehicles for years, love it. I do plan on spending the weekend checking the WDH set up from the dealer and making sure all is good. I am not a very mechanical person so all of this is out of my comfort zone but after reading the Equalizer instructions I think I can handle it.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:15 AM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

I always thought LT ment 10 ply tires. This pass spring I bought a set from Discount Tire that sells on Ebay. 10 ply, They were a no name china tire, $110. bucks or so each. They were very quite on the road. Drove and rode great. But left on my 2010 when it was traded.
I have run Michelin and always felt they were a very soft rubber tire for me they wore quickly and the ride was squishy.
I've had good luck with cooper for a all around tire and will be installing a set of snow tires in November.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Upgrade?