Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire suggestions

It's time for new tires for my 2013 F150 Ecoboost. I am looking for suggestions for the best tires for towing a 7,000 RV on weekends within a 50 mile radius. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:06 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

If you're looking for All-Season highway tires, I'm still liking my Michelin LTX MS/2s at 50K miles.
They come in both P and LT-E versions. Are great on the highway, not so good on wet grass / mud.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:33 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

My first response is what area of the country are you in? For me weather conditions always dictate the type of tire I purchase first, then whatever else I may need them for.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Norotso
My first response is what area of the country are you in? For me weather conditions always dictate the type of tire I purchase first, then whatever else I may need them for.
I assumed the O.P. meant "all-season" tires as he talked about towing.

If my truck was ever used in the winter in ON (or SK) I'd have separate winter tires, and I'd probably not be towing.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:08 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I assume I'm like most people and can't afford the cost of dedicated summer and winter tires if needed. I'm a big fan of the new all weather tires that are being developed. Cooper make a good one, my next choice would be either a Toyo or Hankook AT all season tire but again it's where I live and what I need my tires to do....

Last edited by Norotso; 01-15-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:09 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by tonylight999
It's time for new tires for my 2013 F150 Ecoboost. I am looking for suggestions for the best tires for towing a 7,000 RV on weekends within a 50 mile radius.
My 2012 F-150 EcoBoost came from the factory with Michelin LTX A/S2 P-series all-season tires. Outstanding tires, which with my E-Locker rear axle are good in light snow up to about 6 inches deep. I try hard not to have to tow in snow, but sometimes you get caught by an early or late storm and have to "make do".

For example, a couple of years ago I towed from Spokane to Reno on U.S, 395 in early November. Light snow/ice on several of the passes over 5,000 feet altitude along the eastern edge of the Sierra Nevada. Nerve wracking, but no problem with those tires.

I plan to continue to run the Michelin LTX A/S2 tires on my towing machine. They cost more than other tires, but worth it to me.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Norotso
I assume I'm like most people and can't afford the cost of dedicated summer and winter tires if needed. I'm a big fan of the new all weather tires that are being developed. Cooper make a good one, my next choice wood be either a Toyo or Hankook AT all season tire but again it's where I live and what I need my tires to do....
Economically it's actually not that bad. You do have to make an initial investment in another set of wheels (steel) and tires. But all your tires end up lasting a lot longer as you're not using them all the time.

But then there's the hassle of switching them and storing them. And the cost of that if you don't do it yourself.

So the new all-weathers do look interesting.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

If you are towing infrequently and short distances, P-metric tires are probably OK for you. LTs with a Load Range E are overkill for a 1/2 ton. You get a rougher ride and worse fuel mileage as compared to a P-metric. LT Load Range C can be a good alternative if you tow quite a bit.

Nokian makes some very good tires that are especially good if you live in the Great White North.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced by goodyears with the Michelin LTX MS/2 on my 2013 ecoboost. Initially i was going for e rated tires because the goodyears felt squishy when towing my 6000 lbs travel trailer even when filled to max 44psi. Read a lot of reviews with Michelin's having great reviews. I went with the p rated tires with the plan of testing for 30 days and then switching to e rated version. Just driving away from discount tire i immediately felt the difference. My truck was smoother and felt better again. I pumped the psi to 40 for my tt. It rode awesome. No squish. I never went back for the e rated version. Another nice thing was my mpg went up 2 miles on city and 5 on highway. I highly recommend the Michelin's. i want to thank all the people on this forum for their insights and help. I have learned a lot especially Smokey

Last edited by fsdogs; 01-15-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Invest in the michelin LTX, it's worth it.

Quick Reply: Tire suggestions