Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire scraps in the road

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Tire scraps in the road

A couple of weeks ago, I was towing my camper up to Chattanooga for the weekend. About ten miles from my destination campsite, there was one of those huge scraps of semi tire in the road. The guy in front of me swerves violently and avoids it. I go around as much as I could, but the damn thing went under the camper. It tore loose the ground wire from the brake/axle, and completely sheared OFF the entire sewer valve. Gone. Nothing but the stubs coming from the tanks left on there.

Since I have an art show to finish getting ready for, there's no time to do the repairs myself. I drop it off at Camping World and tell them in detail what i need.

I go to pick it up, and the ticket is DOUBLE the quote amount -- for $80 worth of parts they are charging me $680. I have a quacking flapping duck fit, they go back and match the original quote. Okay, fine.

I go out to hook up, and double check their repair. The wrong valve is on the camper. Only one blade valve, on the blackwater side. I've never even SEEN a valve where you can't stop the grey water before!

So, I go again today to pick it up... just had to vent.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

I've heard horror stories from camping world but I always assumed that you likely get a lot people wanting to vent about a problem than praise good service and they are obviously a huge company so there are more people to complain about. but that is ridiculous. I don't know where your sewer stuff broke off but gluing pvc pipe up is stupid easy. I'm not sure if they had to tear into the drums to replace the ground wire but that also doesn't sound too bad. I'm guessing it could be done in an hour what a bunch of scamers.

on a side note, i used to have a '73 holiday rambler and it had 3 blade valves, one for black. one for gray, and one before the coupler for the sewer hose, it was nice because after dumping the black, i could back flush the gray into in the black tank and rinse it a little if i didn't have a way to get more water in the black tank.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Got to watch out for the asphalt alligators!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, those things are dangerous for sure. Sorry you had to hit one. Think of it this way, at least it didn't come through your windshild!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I lost all tread on a Continental Tire on my F-250.
Left rear separated, came off explosively, and tore up the wheel well, and bent the back bumper in a bow. $3600 in damages. (Cont. didn't do anything for me on their tire. Got nothing for them)
I do warn everybody about their crap tires. Looked good, but wasn't.

I was going about 65 in the rt. lane, drinking my morning coffee...
Glad I wasn't in a rush, or towing my trailer.
Highway 'Gators' are dangerous. Avoid em if you can.

Last edited by Ole Man Dan; 04-09-2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: format
Old 04-09-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And, trying to dodge them on a motorcycle is more than enough adventure for most guys.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ this.

It's the first thing I think of when I see a MC tailgating a semi or other vehicle. No time to react, it wouldn't be pretty.

Quick Reply: Tire scraps in the road