Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought new truck had HD Payload Package!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thought new truck had HD Payload Package!

I need some input pretty quickly.

A month ago, my husband and I traded our 2008 F150 (5.0, 4x4, screw, 5.5 bed) for a 2013 F150 EcoBoost (4x4, screw, 6.5 bed). I clearly specified that we needed BOTH the Max Trailer Towing Package AND the Heavy-Duty Payload Package, as that is what Ford Towing Guide said I needed for the max tow capacity of 11,300, and because I had learned on here, and a horse trailer towing forum, that I also needed to be concerned with Payload Rating and RGAWR.

Anyway, I was assured that the vehicle we purchased did have both packages and I believe one salesman actually told me that the HD Payload was automatically included with vehicles equipped with the Max Tow Pkg. Yeah, well, here we are a month later and I just discovered our truck does NOT have the HD Payload Package (again, tipped off by you guys/gals because it was stated that the wheels would be 7 lug and ours has 6--but did not know this when we bought it). And, sure enough, when I plug all the ratings on this truck into online towing calculators, I am limited to 4840#, same as I was with our 2008 pickup. So I gained 1' foot of bed and a warranty when I went into debt for this truck!

Anyway, this is the largest Ford dealer in the world and the salesman does remember me stating that I wanted the vehicle we purchased to have both packages. He says he will make this right. The solution they are proposing however, are air bags.

The HD Payload Package has the following:

- beefier front springs
- 1 addtl rear leaf with different specs than the others
- "specially tuned" shocks
- 9 channel (instead of 4) oil to air auxiliary trans oil cooler
- 7 lug wheels
- "E" rated tires (10 ply?)
- frame upgrade to .150 thickness, which you all say I already have because of being a screw long bed
- 3.73 axle ratio, which I already have
- "Super Engine Cooling" 6.2L - which Ford guides say I already have with Max Towing Pkg

But, more importantly, trucks with the HD Payload Package, have the following ratings:

- GVWR is 8200, instead of 7700
- RGAWR is 4800, instead of 4050
- Payload rating is 2301, instead of 1766

That little amount of difference makes all the difference in the world on the online towing calculators!! We have already purchased our new horse trailer, based on this truck purchase, and it weighs 4300# empty and we hope to keep it below 8000# but the GVWR is 10,400#. Gooseneck, by the way.

My concerns are: 1) Safety, 2) Liability, 3) Legality (DOT), 4) Premature wear and tear on my tow vehicle, and 5) Warranty being voided.

So, my question really is....will air bags address any of these concerns or are they simply for improved ride and stability???? Will I have any new numbers to plug into the calculators? Won't I still be overloading my truck? I guess I don't know enough about air bags.

And, if you would, please let me know what you would do in my shoes! I am not a confrontational person, but I want this truck to be able to handle this trailer! I am just SICK about this!! Thanks all!
The following users liked this post:
jeffinthebag (08-14-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First HD payload package is not automatically included with max tow package. HD payload is something that most have to order specially to obtain.

Second. Airbags do not change your payload rating, GAWR, or anything that would allow you to legally tow more. They basically support and level the rear of the truck
bugeater95 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't be able to help you. But I'd be ticked right off if I were you. They should be helping you out with a lot more then air bags.

Hopefully it gets figured out.

Chris
bugeater95 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

The dealer needs to get you what you asked for even if it costs them some money. For what it is worth, an HD Payload truck on the lot is a rarity. My dealer says they always let the customer order it special.
I think they should order the truck you ask for, take yours back and sell it as a demo.
bugeater95 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

You're getting screwed around.
You want the 7 lug heavy duty axle, wheels, LT tires and heavy duty suspension.

Demand that they take the truck back and order what you want. They can afford it.
bugeater95 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Grandpa's big Blue Truck

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like you picked a salesman that was more interested in selling a truck off the lot then helping you get what you needed . When I bought my F150 2 years ago my salesman sat down with me and we talked about what I needed and then ordered it because thay didn't have one on the lot , the dealership should bring the right truck in and replace the one that thay sold you for only the difference between the two trucks new if thay ever want your business again air bags will not fix it
bugeater95 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all of your replies. My husband is wondering though, what if we just have the dealership add all those features to this truck? And, also, I thought I read on here that the axle is the same. 9.75 gear or hub or something? Can't remember the details.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Grandpa's big Blue Truck

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The max tow package is a good one it's what I have but it is not the HD and I doubt they will be able to upgrade your truck to those specks and if I understand the Dot will only go by the oem stickers I still think thay should replace it with what you thought you were getting
zach92r (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

The axle's not the same. They cannot upgrade it.

I've spent a lot of $$$ on tires and suspension mods to approximate a HD Payload suspension, but the HD axle and 7 lug wheels cannot be done.
bugeater95 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 05:18 AM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

What ever you do, do it fast and don't drag your feet. If the dealer is willing to work with you, take advantage of that and do it. Bottom line is YOU willingly and knowingly signed the contract for that vehicle. In the eyes of the courts it will seem like "buyers remorse". We all make mistakes, both sides. That's why the contract is written. They really don't have to do anything for you, But if they are willing like I said take advantage of it.
Bottom line is that a contact was entered by both people knowingly and willingly. The written contact supersedes any verbal contacts.
Just one question, Why didn't you realize it when you pick up the truck? Secondly, why didn't you read the contract?
MixMastaMM (08-15-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thought new truck had HD Payload Package!