Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I understood, but maybe not.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thought I understood, but maybe not.

I know you guru's are probably sick of these basic questions, so I apologize now. I have looked online, but the more I look, the more confused I get. So, here's the deal. I have a 2013 F150 XLT with the 302A package, 3.55 electronic lock RR axle, 7100# GVWR package, trailer brake controller, trailer sway control, trailer tow package and can provide additional information if need be.

I've reviewed this link: http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf

I have read the owners manual....

My question is how much can I carry in the bed of the truck?
How much can I tow?
What class hitch is on the truck from the factory?
Does my truck have a better than the standard trans cooler?

I don't normally tow heavy loads, usually around 4000lbs, but we might be getting a travel trailer that weighs around 6200lbs dry and 8000lbs fully loaded.

Thanks for your time on this.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Add the weight of the passengers, any added acc. and the tongue wt. resting on the hitch and the wt of the truck and subtract that from the GVWR and that is the WT you can haul. Be mindfull of the rear axle WT rating you may have to shift the WT forward in the bed.
The factory hitch is a class 4 and there is a sticker on the hitch with load limit's printed on it. Often times the ball and ball mount are rated for less.
Unless you have the max tow package [which you don't] you have the standard trans cooler.
While your truck will pull a 8000 lb TT it is pushing the limit for a 1/2 ton.

Install a good quality WD hitch with sway control bars, hook up weigh the whole combo. for piece of mind and enjoy
The following users liked this post:
stmartin84 (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

stmartin84- Yes, you have a Class 4 hitch, SelectShift automatic transmission, 7-pin wiring harness, an upgraded radiator, and an auxiliary transmission oil cooler. You also have a Trailer brake controller. All of this is included with the 302A package. All of this information can be found online at Ford's build site.

www.ford.com Click on trucks and choose build and price under the F-150 site.

As far as what you can pull go to this site and find your truck:
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/
Old 07-01-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

On the drivers door jamb there is a yellow sticker, listing the "Payload" for your truck. This is how much weight you can add to your truck, including stuff in the cab, you, wife, kids, dog, stuff in the bed, hitch and trailer tongue weight. All the other numbers are less important.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:46 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Unfortunately you will be over your GVWR of 7100lbs with a 8000lb trailer. Plus towing that much weight with only 3.55 gears will not be enjoyable. My trailer is 6500lbs (dry) and 7500lbs loaded and when hooked to my truck I'm less than 200lbs from my trucks GVWR of 7700lbs. You need to look at lighter trailers. Checkout the Keystone Passport line. They have a ton of the popular floorplans and are much lighter. Good Luck,

Kevin

Quick Reply: Thought I understood, but maybe not.