Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sway Bar Question

I'm upgrading travel trailers to a 2015 Flagstaff Super Lite 29FBSS. It's 35' from bumper to tongue. I use a Reese Heavy Duty Round Bar weight distribution hitch. In the past, with my much smaller travel trailer, I did not use a sway bar. I want to add one for the new travel trailer. Do any of you tow a similar size trailer and do you use 1 or 2 sway bars? Any recommendations between Reese and Pro- Series? I know Pro-Series is made by Reese and cost much less. Is it as good as Reese or is it good enough for what I need? TIA!!
Old 03-18-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I have basically the same set up you have (mine's a 2012) and tow a similar size trailer. Mine is about 7200# loaded. I have always towed with one sway bar. I have had two occasions where I had a fairly strong cross-wind and thought about adding a second sway bar. For the low cost and ease of installing, I will probably add a second one soon. I could probably do more by upgrading tires, suspension, etc. But I figure a second sway bar can't hurt.
Hopefully, someone with actual experience will reply soon.
The following users liked this post:
Aggie_90 (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Yikes! 35 Feet?! You need heavy duty sway control. Minimum Reese Straight Line or Equalizer.
The following 2 users liked this post by acadianbob:
Aggie_90 (03-18-2015), Cover Dog (03-19-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by acadianbob
Yikes! 35 Feet?! You need heavy duty sway control. Minimum Reese Straight Line or Equalizer.
Oops.... My mistake... It's 33'6" long bumper to center of hitch ball. Still pretty long but not quiet as bad. Is the Reese Straight Line a friction control sway bar or dual cam sway control? My WD is rated heavy duty.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by humblerb
I have basically the same set up you have (mine's a 2012) and tow a similar size trailer. Mine is about 7200# loaded. I have always towed with one sway bar. I have had two occasions where I had a fairly strong cross-wind and thought about adding a second sway bar. For the low cost and ease of installing, I will probably add a second one soon. I could probably do more by upgrading tires, suspension, etc. But I figure a second sway bar can't hurt. Hopefully, someone with actual experience will reply soon.
What is your tow vehicle?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:10 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

I used to pull my 28.5' trailer with one friction bar, but I had over 15% tongue weight. So it towed very well.

A lot depends upon your % tongue weight. But with your longer trailer, I would probably want 2 friction bars.

Since then I've upgraded to an Equal-I-Zer with the anti-sway friction built in to the hitch. It's a lot less hassle than the bars, especially with two bars. No getting out to remove them before sharp turns and so on.
Aggie_90 (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by brulaz
I used to pull my 28.5' trailer with one friction bar, but I had over 15% tongue weight. So it towed very well. A lot depends upon your % tongue weight. But with your longer trailer, I would probably want 2 friction bars. Since then I've upgraded to an Equal-I-Zer with the anti-sway friction built in to the hitch. It's a lot less hassle than the bars, especially with two bars. No getting out to remove them before sharp turns and so on.
My Reese WD is such that I can add the dual cam hp sway control verses the friction sway control bars. Does anyone have experience with those? Do they have to be removed like the friction control bars?
Old 03-19-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Aggie_90
My Reese WD is such that I can add the dual cam hp sway control verses the friction sway control bars. Does anyone have experience with those? Do they have to be removed like the friction control bars?
By all accounts, the dual cam sway control is very good.
IIRC they don't have to be removed in tight corners, like the friction bars do.

If you can just upgrade to the dual cam, that's what I would do.
Aggie_90 (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Aggie_90
What is your tow vehicle?

2012 F150 FX2 Ecoboost 3.55 rearend
Old 03-19-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by brulaz
By all accounts, the dual cam sway control is very good.
IIRC they don't have to be removed in tight corners, like the friction bars do.

If you can just upgrade to the dual cam, that's what I would do.

This X 2

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Question