Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

super spring ,add a leaf, for added payload

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Default super spring ,add a leaf, for added payload

I didn't no where else to ask so here I am ,
this is not about F series ,this is about E Series.

I have a 2002 E 250, 5.4 cargo(yes it gets loaded)(tools ,material blablah)
The E150s of today are more like the E 250s of yesteryear.
And before anyone thinks there a difference in the 2,,,
E-150,and E-250 have the same everything,frame ,rear,tires ,brakes,tranny,and tranny cooler Everything is the same except the softer suspension on the 150 make the payload 1000# difference .
So I just want to add some helpers or add a leaf to get the payload back
Which should I get would be my question
Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

To me the AAL is the way to go for simplicity, but it will raise the rear and harshen the ride.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:12 AM
Triton54HD

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

why not get a set from an E250 and swap them? if not that option, I would go with the AAL like Smurf suggested.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:00 AM

Just did a little web search on AAL
common theme seems to be,,,, harsh ride
Raising the rear would be fine because The constant payload of just tools will be will be around 700-1000lbs(not including gas and driver) So that should bring it down.Right?
Then,when materials get loaded it could be another 500lbs,plus throw in the trailer every once in a while.
the payload max is 2091I'm not really likeing a harsh ride, Do you mean harsh as in E250,or E350 harsh? That would be fine
But if you mean harsh as in teeth grrinding,dreading the next bump ? I'm not wanting that.
I'm in the van more hours and miles then the Platinum

Triton54,,,The way I'm looking at it is ,,,,
I'll look into priceing but if its the same price as aftermarket ,I would probably go with aftermarket,seems like most of the time A/M is better and cheaper
E-250 is the van of choice, but theres a slammer deal for this E150 extended
Racks bins,,class,II,III,IV tow package
Old 12-12-2013, 06:09 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

The harsh ride, is usually unloaded. Should be decent with the added weight.
The following users liked this post:
smurfs_of_war (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get airbags they aren't much more expensive than aal and if you are running around empty you can just let the air out when you are loaded down you can air them up and it is infinitely adjustable
Old 12-12-2013, 03:21 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Be careful now, AAL and mean almost anything. In all of the F350's I have owned/looked at the overload springs are long leafs not the little short suckers which will beat you senseless. I have used Rancho long leaf lift kits and they were excellent. They controlled spring wind-up as well as increased my payload. The ride was great because all the springs did was bring me back to normal. You'll need stiffer shocks as the stockers will just bag after a about a year. If you can get a wrecking yard to break up a healthy spring pack for you than take the long leafs and stuff them in. I have also gone to a spring shop and had them custom bend me a new set of springs. They bend it, put it in, let you look at it and then they pull it out and keep on bending it and putting it in until you are happy. They can also use different thicknesses of springs which most catalogues say nothing about.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
The harsh ride, is usually unloaded. Should be decent with the added weight.
It will pretty much(95% of the time) stay loaded

Just get airbags they aren't much more expensive than aal and if you are running around empty you can just let the air out when you are loaded down you can air them up and it is infinitely adjustable
I dont think airbags would be the ticket for this,maybe for the passenger vans

Boulevard
I'm having a hard time understanding the reply. I assuming
AAL and mean almost anything
that supposed to sayAAL CAN mean anything ? I havent looked at and dont no what AAL is (but I will in a few minutes )
I dont plan on getting the little spring under the pack ,I'm leaning more towards the longer ones that go over the top of the springs. I'll look into the Rancho long leaf lift kits you like.
As far as replacing the shocks in a year,,,I'm not sure about that. The E150 uses the same shock as the E250 , and thats all I really want is to have the same payload as the 250(welll ,maybe just a little bit more)
Old 12-16-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Hellwig assailed on my F150, love em... you can adjust the pressure and they're not that expensive
Old 12-16-2013, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Addaleaf... not assailed...damn auto correct

Quick Reply: super spring ,add a leaf, for added payload