Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Pirelli ATRs for Towing

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Pirelli ATRs for Towing

I'm sorry if the question has been asked but I have been doing a lot of searches for the past two hours and cant seem to find an honest answers just a bunch that are confusing me.

I Have A 10 F150 Platinum with the stock Pirelli ATRs on them and just purchased a New TT that weighs about 7000 pounds and the research that I have done along with a recommendation from a friend who is saying that for long or short distance towing they will not hold up and just by checking my tire they are only a 2 ply standard load tire.

I am looking for recommendations along what all of you are towing with.

I also like a nice LT or off road tire to tow with also

Thanks for the help ahead of time
Old 02-28-2016, 06:16 AM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

I did not have 20s or pirelli tires, but towed for 3 years and close to 50k with my standard load Goodyear SR A 18s. I tow a 3 Horse GN with about 1k on the Pin, so it gets a good workout. I never had any real issues with them, but when I replaced them this month I went from a 114T load index to a 116T. The new tires are also P series tires but with the higher load index are quite a bit stiffer. The cornering with the trailer on is better, not that the stock tires were terrible, also in the wind the new ones seem less prone to letting my back end get pushed around.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:22 AM

Sorry for the thread "hijack", but I've got a very similar question...

I've got an 2011 F-150 (SuperCrew, 3.5L EcoBoost) with stock LT275/65R18 tires, with a 113 Load Rating (OEM Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.) I'm just about to hit 100K KM, with about 20K of towing a 6000 lbs TT. The tires need replacement this spring, and I'm seriously considering moving to a 20-inch wheel/tire combo.

I like the "look" of the 2016 20-inchers, and can get a good deal locally on "take-offs" (wheels, tires, and pressure sensors.) My question: while these take-offs are OK in terms of size (275/55R20), they are P tires, not LT. Do P tires have a much lower load rating than LT? I don't know exactly what the Load Rating is of the 20-inch, yet. I'm still looking for that information.

I've always been satisfied with towing performance of my 18-inch LT tires, and I'm afraid of making things unstable/wobbly/whatever with P rated 20-inch tires. Granted, the shorter sidewall helps, but is that enough?

GoneCamping
Old 03-08-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by GoneCamping
I'm seriously considering moving to a 20-inch wheel/tire combo.
If you tow, do not go to 20 inch tires. Insufficient sidewall height to absorb impacts under heavy load. BIG mistake.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 AM

acadianbob, yes, that was one of my concerns too. However, I'm still trying to reconcile this with the fact that Ford DOES offer this wheel/tire size stock, knowing very well that many of their F150 customers get that truck to tow in the 1st place. Note that I tow a TT, not a 5th wheel, so I'm not loading the truck's rear axle as much (I do have a 10K Equali-z-er WDH, which does put some load on the front axle.)

Going 22-inch may well be overkill (and risky for towing), but I'm not so sure about 20. 1 inch of rubber less between the wheel and road may still be significant. Would LT-rated 20-inchers mitigate this issue? There doesn't seem to be as many tire choices in that size, compared to 18.

On last thing: on Ford's towing capacity documents, there are no references to wheel sizes, only towing packages, gear ratios and engines (and weight.) Maybe having a "towing package" with 18-inch wheels constitutes an indirect way of saying "stick with 18-inch"... I don't know.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by GoneCamping
acadianbob, yes, that was one of my concerns too. However, I'm still trying to reconcile this with the fact that Ford DOES offer this wheel/tire size stock, knowing very well that many of their F150 customers get that truck to tow in the 1st place..
Bling sells trucks.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Go look at the tires on a HD truck. You won't find any 20's or 22's. There is a reason for that. You need the sidewall height.
The following users liked this post:
Velosprout (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Ambitious But Rubbish

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

My Denali had the optional factory 20s, and it was fine towing, over thousands of miles. Granted, I put Michelin LTX on it that were LT rated, and kept them inflated properly.

My FX4 also has the upgraded 20s, with some P-rated Bridgestone on 'em. I suspect they'll do fine as well. Granted, I'm towing on nice, smooth highways, nowhere near the capacity of the truck (6k lbs maybe) and not really beating the truck up.

Quick Reply: Stock Pirelli ATRs for Towing