Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel angle / loose with trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Steering wheel angle / loose with trailer

Just picked up a 2007 Nash 27E. Noticed on the drive home the same steering wheel "problem" I had with a prior trailer. Tow vehicle is 2013 F150 crewcab max tow 157" wheelbase.

Wondering if anyone has ever seen this? It seems like with the trailer hooked up steering input is really "dull." Maybe it is by design by Ford.

Maybe its my weight distribution? Maybe theres not enough weight on the front wheels? I haven't weighed it, but there is no visual sag in the rear or rise in the front. So without scale numbers, it appears weight distribution is okay.

These are all pictures of driving in a straight line. The angle of the steering wheel was necessary to make the truck go in a straight line. Doesn't seem like it should be normal? But it ONLY happens with a trailer hooked up. I can unhook the trailer and immediately the truck has no steering "issues."

Old 06-14-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

You do have a weight distributing hitch, don't you???

That TT is 5600 lbs dry, and can carry a load of 4400 lbs, for a GVWR for the trailer of 10,000 lbs.

Even if you're towing that trailer empty you need a WDH, so I'm sure you have one.

With your Max Tow you've got a great rig for hauling a heavy TT, but even if the truck looks like it's sitting level, it could be taking enough weight off the truck's front axle to give you the problem you're experiencing.

I'd say you definitely should take it to your local CAT scales to get the actual weights to make sure your WDH is set up correctly.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:51 PM

I'm using an Equalizer brand hitch and that was driving it home empty.

The nearest CAT scale is about 30 minutes away, but I think you are right. I just need to load up the trailer and family and drive down there.

The odd thing is the steering doesn't seem to be able to return to center. I'd I make a right hand turn and then straighten out the vehicle the steering wheel is off to the right and vice versa for left turns.

I wonder if it has something to do with the electric steering? I've only ever towed with this vehicle so I have no experience with other tow vehicles / hydraulic steering.

Last edited by astraelraen; 06-14-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by astraelraen
The odd thing is the steering doesn't seem to be able to return to center. I'd I make a right hand turn and then straighten out the vehicle the steering wheel is off to the right and vice versa for left turns.
What you just described is a symptom of a loose rack and pinion mount, I do believe you best get that looked at ASAP.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
What you just described is a symptom of a loose rack and pinion mount, I do believe you best get that looked at ASAP.
I wondered that too, but it ONLY happens when my travel trailer is hooked up? Maybe the weight exacerbates a steering condition?

It kinda makes me wonder that it is a steering issue with the truck since it occurred with a different travel trailer I owned last year and used this same truck to tow. It was a really light trailer, like 4000lbs max. I can't imagine I had the weight distribution that bad on that "light" of a trailer. The tongue weight of that trailer was crazy light, I could hook it up without a WDH and the rear end wouldn't even drop. (I didn't tow like that!!)

Problem is, if I take to the dealer they will take it in. Drive it and say nothing is wrong because there is no trailer hooked up at that time.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

take some measurement of the front- ground to fender lip with and without trailer. see how much lift/weight transfer is lifted off the front...or a pic of the truck and trailer- side shot..
Old 06-14-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by astraelraen
I wondered that too, but it ONLY happens when my travel trailer is hooked up? Maybe the weight exacerbates a steering condition?
No amount of weight distribution could cause the steering to change center position unless something is loose.

There is a mechanical connection between your front end and the steering wheel, the ONLY way for your symptoms to occur is something is NOT attached firmly.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel angle / loose with trailer