Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Plow

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Snow Plow

Looking for opinions on a personal-use snow plow system for my Mountaineer. I have been researching a couple options including the Fisher Homesteader but the cost is almost $5k. Definitely not looking to spend that much...
Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Remember than a Mountaineer is basically a Ford Ranger underneath. The 2007 Ford Source Book says "The 2007 Ranger is not recommended for snowplow applications".

A Mountaineer is a badge engineered Explorer. I have a 2003 Ford SUV Source Book, and it says "The Explorer is not recommended for snowplow applications".

The problem is the front GAWR. The Ranger/Exployer/Mountaineer simply does not have enough fGAWR (weight capacity of the front suspension and axle) to handle the weight of even the lightest snowplow. On an F-150, only the very rare pickup with the HD Payload pkg with 8,200 GVWR has a front end with enough weight capacity to handle the lighest snowplow. So if you observe closely, almost all pickups plowing snow are three-quarter ton or heavier 4x4s.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

depending what your planning on plowing there are a few options out there for lightweight plows. you can get a snowsport hd for i believe less than $2k. i bought a used boss sport duty for $2k its a poly board and weighs around 450lbs. look around on craigslist and ebay for a decent used plow. just watch the weights. even try a manufactures web site for the product selector.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:56 PM

It would only be used for a small parking lot where my Dad owns a business. Funny enough the guy that plows his lot now has a Ford Ranger but it works great for getting into the tight spaces including a wide (mid-size truck wide) sidewalk. I am concerned about the weight but a 2500/3500 is just too big for the lot…I may just let the guy keep going with his Ranger I guess.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:27 AM

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

If it's that's small and you are figuring on spending 2-3 grand, find a decently used 4x4 utility atv on the Internet and install a plow on the front of it. It's a small easy set up and fits into the smaller corners. I would find at least a 400cc and minimum to push the snow around.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by disturbed3003
If it's that's small and you are figuring on spending 2-3 grand, find a decently used 4x4 utility atv on the Internet and install a plow on the front of it. It's a small easy set up and fits into the smaller corners. I would find at least a 400cc and minimum to push the snow around.
Until mid winter and the snow piles get deep. Quads my be good for the side walk but for the money the snowsport plow will do better. Take a look at the online videos for them.........
Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 PM

I will have to check out the snowsport. My parents have an ATV with plow that they use at their cabin and it doesn't really work well for anything over 8" or so; any time the blade is angled, the back end kicks out.

Quick Reply: Snow Plow