Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shocks on pup up trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default shocks on pup up trailer?

as the title says...

I just towed our new (to us) camper home tonight and had never seen so much bounce in my rear-view before.

I understand you want a soft ride for the contents of the trailer, dishes, silverware, etc... but at the same time everything we pack for camping is non-breakable, disposable, or rugged stuff... or it's in the bed of the truck.

So why would I NOT fab and install a pair of shocks to keep the jouncing to a minimum, and probably prolong the life of the leafs a few more years?

I mean light duty cheap Monroe's, enough to curb the rebound, and take a bit away from the compression.

Anyone done it, know why NOT to do it... any thoughts at all?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

You can do it...there's no cons about that.

when I had my pop up camper....it was bouncing when it was too light/empty.
When loaded it was stable enough not to bounce everywhere.

or you're going too fast
Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by maxpat82
You can do it...there's no cons about that.

when I had my pop up camper....it was bouncing when it was too light/empty.
When loaded it was stable enough not to bounce everywhere.

or you're going too fast
Ya, I talkex to a few co-workers witb PUPs, none had shocks, and each said much the same as you about bouncing light -vs- loaded.
I was just driving in town, sub 40mph, more 25-35, which I know would exagerate bouncing as opposed to highway speeds where it would kind of "hover" level'ish.
Either way, I enjoy modding my toys, so I think I will add shocks... and update with my thoughts at a later date.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

I'm very curious on where you would mount the shocks on a pop-up.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by PARIAH
I'm very curious on where you would mount the shocks on a pop-up.
The same place you would mount shocks on any other trailer.

The suspension and frame of the trailer doesn't pop up. Assuming normal leaf spring suspension, fabricate a new bottom plate for where the U-bolts connect the axle to springs.

On that new plate, include a tab for where the bottom of the shock would be attached. On the frame of the trailer above that new plate is where you would attach the top of the shock, usually with just a bolt through the frame. The shock must be the right length to tie the new plate to the frame.

I'm in the process of adding shocks to my small TT. I ordered Monroe 555002 Gas-Magnum RV shock absorbers from Amazon.com ($26.94 each) and they arrived yesterday. The 555002 is 12.759" extended length and 8.625" compressed length, which is about right for my trailer.
Link: Monroe Gas-Magnum RV Shocks

Last edited by smokeywren; 06-13-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Give it time, you'll upgrade to a Travel Trailer, then a fifth wheel, then a.... Natural progression with RV'ing (I know from experience, I'm on my 6th RV now).
Old 06-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by ecobeest
Give it time, you'll upgrade to a Travel Trailer, then a fifth wheel, then a....
Slightly different for us. We started with a pop-up in 1968, when the kids were ages 3 and 1. We drug that camper all over the USA for almost 20 years, until both kids were grown and gone. Then we graduated to a small low-profile 5er with GVWR of 6,000 pounds. We towed that with a Toy T-100 V6 for about a year, then upgraded to an F-250 diesel. Then we upgraded to a mid-profile 5er with one big slide and GVWR of 7,900 pounds. We towed that about 100,000 miles all over the USA for about 10 years, but decided we were too old to camp so we sold the diesel pickup. That 5er we still own, but it's parked now with a step-daughter living in it. But later we decided we really needed a small camper, so we bought a 19' TT with no slide and a GVWR of 5,600. That small TT is perfect for two old folks and two dogs. It's made one 4,200 mile trip and several 600-mile trips. We're planning two more long trips for this summer, one to eastern Tennessee to visit Darling Daughter and the other to western Idaho via Denver and return via Phoenix, to visit Darling Granddaughter and great granddaughter.

We no longer "camp". We use the TT as a mobile potty and portable motel room that allows two dogs.

Last edited by smokeywren; 06-13-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
The same place you would mount shocks on any other trailer.

The suspension and frame of the trailer doesn't pop up. Assuming normal leaf spring suspension, fabricate a new bottom plate for where the U-bolts connect the axle to springs.

On that new plate, include a tab for where the bottom of the shock would be attached. On the frame of the trailer above that new plate is where you would attach the top of the shock, usually with just a bolt through the frame. The shock must be the right length to tie the new plate to the frame.

I'm in the process of adding shocks to my small TT. I ordered Monroe 555002 Gas-Magnum RV shock absorbers from Amazon.com ($26.94 each) and they arrived yesterday. The 555002 is 12.759" extended length and 8,625" compressed length, which is about right for my trailer.
Link: Monroe Gas-Magnum RV Shocks
Hey, great info, thanks.
Yeah, my plan was exactly as you described, I'll look into those part numbers once I've done some measuring on my ride.

Originally Posted by ecobeest
Give it time, you'll upgrade to a Travel Trailer, then a fifth wheel, then a.... Natural progression with RV'ing (I know from experience, I'm on my 6th RV now).
haha, our oldest boy just turned 2 yesterday, and we went from being avid outdoors people, to no trips at all in last 2 years. So we wanted something smaller (storage wise) but roomy (interior wise) and we lucked into a CampLite 2218SL from a friend.
Figured this way we can figure out if we are into the trailer camping, and what we like/dislike about this style camper. Get a few years, or many, of use and either upgrade, continue using, or get rid of all together. But we understand the possible progression.

Thanks for the thoughts folks, look forward to making it happen.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Check Dexter Axle company - they make a shock retrofit kit. Monroe used to make a kit, but I can't find them in stock any longer.

I did thus on my TT. Lots of work but worth it on rough roads.

Quick Reply: shocks on pup up trailer?