Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setup woth Equalizer WD hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Setup woth Equalizer WD hitch

I have taken my truck (2012 F150 5.0 with tow package) and TT (Bullet 286qbs) with an Equalizer hitch back to the place I purchased it as I believe the front of the trailer is sitting to high. They have told me it is setup just right.

Can any else with towing experience advise if this Equalizer is setup properly?
Attached Thumbnails Setup woth Equalizer WD hitch-image-1447112732.jpg   Setup woth Equalizer WD hitch-image-267273978.jpg   Setup woth Equalizer WD hitch-image-4266563558.jpg  
Old 08-25-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default wd setup

The trailer looks level to me. The back of your truck looks a little low but that is likely due to a heavy hitch weight for the trailer, F150 suspension and the ability of the WD hitch to shift weight forward.

jhglaw
Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

From what I can see, looks to me like the trailer is hitch high. Go to a flat area like a parking lot and measure from the bottom of the trailer frame in the front and then the rear. Should be the same measurement or you want the front to be a little lower. Likely your ball needs to be lowered and the equalizer adjusted.

I don't think the dealers can do it correctly. I would suggest you go through the directions and do it yourself.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 PM

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Should look more like this with the Equal-izer, but I do have airbags as well which levels it properly where the WD could not.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Woody
Should look more like this with the Equal-izer, but I do have airbags as well which levels it properly where the WD could not.
Can you send me a photo of your hitch with the equalizer setup. The dealer set mine up with the hitch part up and I think it should be down. Thanks
Old 08-25-2013, 11:44 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

My dealer didn't setup my Equal-i-zer hitch correctly either. When i had a chance i took the time and did it myself. I ended up having to drop the ball down one hole and raised the "L" brackets for the weight distribution bars up one hole.Now the trailer is slightly nose down, truck is basically level and she tows perfect!

Name:  2012-04-15_14-21-11_748-3.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  73.2 KBName:  2012-04-15_14-21-48_289.jpg
Views: 2910
Size:  105.1 KBName:  IMG_20130627_101032_165_zpse21b31c9.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  96.7 KB
Old 08-26-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Although nice, having a perfectly level truck is not exactly the objective. Using a WDH, you want to reduce the truck's front end lift by 50 to 100%. Ford recommends 50% and gives good instructions in the truck's manual. Usually the rear end will sag a bit, but that's the way these trucks are designed.

If you want to stiffen the rear suspension, air-up the air bags, add Timbrens, RAS or whatever and then redo your WDH adjustments. Again, concentrate on reducing the front end lift by 50-100%. Stiffening the suspension should reduce the rear sag as well.

And the trailer should be level, or slightly nose down, especially for dual axle trailers, so the trailer's weight is distributed evenly between the trailer axles. Adjusting ball height is the way to do this. And then redo the the WDH bar adjustments.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:29 AM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by brulaz
Although nice, having a perfectly level truck is not exactly the objheight. . Using a WDH, you want to reduce the truck's front end lift by 50 to 100%. Ford recommends 50% and gives good instructions in the truck's manual. Usually the rear end will sag a bit, but that's the way these trucks are designed.

If you want to stiffen the rear suspension, air-up the air bags, add Timbrens, RAS or whatever and then redo your WDH adjustments. Again, concentrate on reducing the front end lift by 50-100%. Stiffening the suspension should reduce the rear sag as well.

And the trailer should be level, or slightly nose down, especially for dual axle trailers, so the trailer's weight is distributed evenly between the trailer axles. Adjusting ball height is the way to do this. And then redo the the WDH bar adjustments.
I understand the objective is once the trailer is attached to adjust enough weight to the front axle so it's within 1/2 inch of the stock ride height. Mine just happens to be almost level.In all honesty i think if you need airbags then you obviously are overloading the truck. The stock suspension can easily handle what the truck is rated for.

P.S. I'm very jealous of your payload #!!

Last edited by EcoboostKev; 08-26-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
I understand the objective is once the trailer is attached to adjust enough weight to the front axle so it's within 1/2 inch of the stock ride height. Mine just happens to be almost level.In all honesty i think if you need airbags then you obviously are overloading the truck. The stock suspension can easily handle what the truck is rated for.

P.S. I'm very jealous of your payload #!!
1/2" is probably pretty good. But I'm sure the Ford manual says reduce the lift by 1/2, whereas others (like Equal-i-zer) say reduce the lift by 100%, but no more. My gut feeling is anywhere between 50% and 100% lift reduction should be fine.

Personally I find the F150's stock suspension too soft when loaded, even when it's not over-loaded. But, yes, sure it and even the P-rated tires can handle the load. More of a preference I guess. If properly adjusted with a WDH, air bags should help with that "floating sensation".

Afraid we'll be using every bit of that 2050# payload when we get a heavier new TT next year. Expect the tongue weight will be just under 1000#. Guess there are advantages of a 4x2 SCab. And hopefully if I crank up the Equal-I-Zer so front end lift reduction is a full 100%, the truck's rear GAW will be under too.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Weigh it.
First, the truck alone, then with your trailer hooked up.
You're guessing until you do.
The separate instructions from Ford and Equalizer shouldn't be confused.
Equalizer instructs to target the steer axle raising 1/2-1", IIRC.

Quick Reply: Setup woth Equalizer WD hitch