Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setup SwayPro 1500 with Air Ride 5000

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Setup SwayPro 1500 with Air Ride 5000

I am new to both of these products and need some help.

I'm trying to figure out what order I setup.

Equilizer manual says...
"Suspension air bags should be inflated to their desired towing psi before hitch setup. Inflating rear axle air bags after setup will most likely decrease the amount of weight distribution provided by the hitch."

Blue-ox SwayPro manual says...
"Air-ride shock absorbers, air springs, or automatic leveling systems on towing vehicle should be disabled or deflated to the manufacture’s minimum recommended pressure prior to SwayPro™ installation.”

What is common practice? My instinct tells me to put the trailer on so its squatting and then inflate the airbags to the desired pressure. Then follow the setup instruction for the SwayPro.

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

It sounds like they want you to set up the hitch first to get the correct weight distribution without the air bags, then inflate the bags to the desired ride height. This way, if the bags were to burst while you were towing, you wouldn't lose control.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by SKBORDERS
It sounds like they want you to set up the hitch first to get the correct weight distribution without the air bags, then inflate the bags to the desired ride height. This way, if the bags were to burst while you were towing, you wouldn't lose control.
No. Just the opposite.

Set the suspension the way you want. Adjusting psi to what you want first.
Then adjust the WDH.

If you don't like the ride and add or lower psi, then you should re-adjust the WDH.

Always re-adjust the WDH after any suspension modification.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Air bags are meant for supporting the load that is in the truck and not for towing. That's not to say that they will not help and lets face it, lots of people do use them this way but its not what they are meant for. Using air bags for towing will likely result in the overloading of the axle and in the overloading of the hitch and in the eventual failure of one of these 2 items. Do not use air bags for towing unless it is a fifth wheel.

The Sway-pro is meant for distributing the trailers weight onto the rest of the truck and for controlling trailer sway. It will reduce axle loading and reduce hitch weight. This is the device that you should be using. Use both and you will find that neither of them will work effectively. The Sway-pro is unique in that is must have about 500lbs of weight on it in order for the sway control to work. If you use the air bags to reduce the weight on the hitch than the hitch will not work effectively. If you insist on using the air bags than do not use the Sway-pro. If you use the Sway-pro than do not use the air bags.
The following users liked this post:
raisin (03-21-2016)

Quick Reply: Setup SwayPro 1500 with Air Ride 5000