Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RV towing of F150 w/4 on the ground

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb RV towing of F150 w/4 on the ground

I have an 2011 Ecoboost F150 4x4 with automatic (P,N,R,D,M,2,1) transmission that I want to tow behind an RV I am going to purchase. The Ford Manual says not to do it. Only tow it with all four wheesl on a trailer. I am hearing positive comments about installing a "Remco Driveline Disconnect" on the drive shaft. Other comments have referenced using a "Ford neutral tow kit", but I have not found the kit available for the F150. Does anyone have any experience using either of these products on a F150 automatic (electronic shift)?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Bump, I have a 2010 F150 XLT that I would like to rig to do the same thing. Help needed please.

Apparently the 2012 has a computer program to do this with the electronic shift.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

i'm going to try this, not that i have an rv to pull my 2013...just wanna see if it works...
copied from this link.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/ford-...le-112404.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnGOnTheGo
I read in FMCA new Towables edition that Ford F150 4X4 is flat towable so I went to a local dealership and tried it out. WOW really easy, no fuse to pull.

You just place it in nuetral and then follow the instructions which are a simple turning the 4 wheel drive switch a few times and the display will show you are ready to tow. Again no fuse pulling.

Next Toad.......

Just another confirmation here. Stopped by the Ford dealer yesterday and salesman confirmed.

Me being a "Doubting Thomas", I made him show me in the owners manual, then we went out on the lot and tried it on one of there trucks.

The procedure is;
1). Put key in "On" position ( do not start).
2). Put foot one press/hold brake.
3). Shift trans into neutral.
4). Turn the 4x4 selection **** 2H to 4L and back 5 times in 7 seconds.
Dashboard message will display when transfer case is in Neutral and ready to tow.
5). Turn key to "Off" position (you cannot remove the key with transfer case in neutral).

To take transfer case out of neutral all I did was turn key to "On" position then shift into "Park". Message on dash disappeared and I could hear the transfer case shift back into gear. I then started the truck, shifted to Drive and took it for test drive.

Very nice truck and it is now at the top of my list because I can get a 4 door Crew Cab with a 6 1/2 foot bed. Can't get that combination on a Chevy.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

went and tried it...key on, neutral, shift 2wd to 4wd low range not just 4 high. 5 times.. display came up ready to tow leave in neutral.......
Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

My 2012 F-150 Owner's Guide is very clear.

For a 4x2, lencoff is right; put the pickup on a trailer - preferably a car-hauler trailer with enough weight capacity to haul a 6,000 pound pickup.

For a 4x4, there is a procedure to tow the F-150 with 4 wheels down. If you have a 4x4, then RTFM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM

Yeah, doesn't work for my 2010, tired it last night. I'm kind of screwed, I should have done more research before purchasing the truck.

The only thing that I found that I can do is send in the driveshaft to a company in AZ to have a disconnect made, about $800-1200. Plus another $600-1000 for actually rigging the truck to tow. Maybe too much to put in right now. Haven't needed to tow it yet which is good, got a covered trailer for the motorcycle which has worked to this point. The other vehicle is an Audi which is also out of the question to tow 4 down.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 AM

Default Ranger01

The top Remco distributor is in AZ, but when I checked with the company headquarters in Iowa (via. Internet) they telephoned me to suggest distributors closer to me in Missouri. I am planning to do some cost comparisons. I am lucky, I don't have to have a special disconnect designed for my 2011 F150 4x4 automatic. It has already been designed, all I do is buy it off the shelf.

Good Luck,

Lencoff

Quick Reply: RV towing of F150 w/4 on the ground