Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running fridge while travelling

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running fridge while travelling

Hey guys, just wondering if you think it's a bad idea to run the fridge in my travel trailer (on propane) while travelling. The route is quite flat. I know of a few guys who do this, but would like some more input before doing it myself.

Cheers!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

I've run my fridge on automatic (gas or 12-volt) for years. No problems. However, be aware that in some places it is illegal to run on gas, such as the tunnel under the water in Baltimore.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
I've run my fridge on automatic (gas or 12-volt) for years. No problems. However, be aware that in some places it is illegal to run on gas, such as the tunnel under the water in Baltimore.
One of the reasons I am avoiding that tunnel (although I had heard no propane tanks allowed through the tunnel) when we go to DC next month.

Do you shut the gas off when fueling your truck?

(planning a longer trip in a few weeks, I've never pulled my truck through a gas station while towing my TT)
Old 07-21-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Would u recommend running it off the 12V's rather than the propane then?
Old 07-21-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Fridges run great on 120v or propane, they suck on 12V, that's why a lot of them went to 120v / propane and dropped the 12v. Just turn it off before you gas up. In Washington State and I think BC, they make you turn it off and they tag it before you can board a ferry.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:48 PM
2014 XLT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you shut off the propane be sure to shutoff the fridge control.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I always run with the fridge on and never turn it off when I refuel. On my setup, the fridge is 32' away from the fuel door on the truck. If that's a fire hazard then I'm doing a remake of a Zoolander scene.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:48 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Originally Posted by 11screw50
Do you shut the gas off when fueling your truck?

No, that's silly. The reefer is near the back of the trailer, a long way from the gas cap.

...(planning a longer trip in a few weeks, I've never pulled my truck through a gas station while towing my TT)
Plan way ahead. Get on the internet and find where all the Flying-J truck stops are on your route. The old Flying-J truckstops (built before about 2010 when Pilot bought out Flying-J) all have RV islands just for you. Surf to

http://pilotflyingj.com/

Then put the mouse on "RVs"

then Click on "Download Complete RV Locations amenities"

The RV islands have both gas and diesel, whereas the truck islands have only diesel.

Before Pilot bought them, the Flying J truckstops had the lowest fuel process of anyone around them. That's no longer true with Pilot making the rules now, but the gas prices are not bad. I just returned from Dallas, and the Flying J on the way had unleaded and Unleaded Plus, but not premium. My EcoBoost loves premium for towing my 5k TT, but it does okay on unleaded plus.

Last edited by smokeywren; 07-22-2015 at 04:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by smokeywren:
LGCope (07-25-2015), ModelAMike (07-23-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Originally Posted by Bodnar
Would u recommend running it off the 12V's rather than the propane then?

Yes. Our 2012 model TT has a propane/12-volt refrigerator, and we almost always run it on 12 volt. It does fine. It keeps ice and ice cream frozen when on the road when 120-volt is not available.

But use your brains and don't attempt to cool down a lot of hot stuff in the RV reefer. Use the home reefer/freezer to get things cold or frozen before you load them in the camper. 12-volt will do just fine in keeping things cold (and ice cream frozen), but it's very slow to cool off or freeze something that was not cold when it went into the RV reefer.
The following users liked this post:
LGCope (07-25-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 05:33 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

We always leave ours running on propane when traveling. As do most other RV'ers I know.

These things don't have pilot lights anymore. A little spark to kick the fridge on is all that is needed. With it being 30 ft from the fuel nozzle, I don't worry too much about it.

Quick Reply: Running fridge while travelling