Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Rubber bump stops in rear?

Old 05-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Rubber bump stops in rear?

Anyone ever install rubber bump stop "pucks" on the rear to help with the rear springs not bottoming out? My step dad has a toy hauler and pulls it with a GMC 1500 and he put them on and loves it. He says it doesn't squat the truck like it used to. I'm not sure about them so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with them.

MTN GHOST RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #2

Do these just space the original bumpers down so they make contact sooner? If so, a better solution would be Timbren bumpers which are longer than the originals and made of a more durable material. In my opinion the best solution is airbags. You can set your loaded rear height wherever you want it (within reason) and deflate when empty and return to a stock ride quality.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #3

There are 2 types of rubber bump stops in the back of your truck. The biggest and by far and the most obvious is the 1 that attaches to the frame and strikes the axle. Its job is to gently stop the axle from striking the frame or bottoming out. The other type is actually in the spring pack itself and there are 2 of them, 1 at the front of the pack and 1 at the back. Their job is to stop the upper and lower halves of the spring pack from slapping against each other. These 2 are about the size of a puck but are a lot thinner. If you replace these 2 stops with thicker ones than yes, they will do exactly what you are saying. How they do this is simple. They allow the lower half of the spring pack (the load springs) to come into contact with the upper half of the spring pack (the ride comfort pack) sooner. In other words, if the stock spring pack allows the suspension to drop 2 inches before the load pack is engaged and you swap out for taller bump stops that allow the spring pack to drop only 1 inch before the load springs are engaged than you will have a much stiffer suspension. A 1 inch taller bump stop front and back can make a really big difference. I installed a 1 inch taller bump stop at the front only and it stopped spring wrap completely.....I did have them installed front and back but the ride was way to harsh. Try Energy Suspension 9.9132 for ultra low (what I am using) and the 9.9102 for the next size taller. They are super easy to install and cheap (10 bucks a pair).
Boulevard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:01 PM