Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 02-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default The right transmission cooler

I want to add a transmission cooler to my 1010 that wasn't built with one. I know I could go to Ford and buy the original parts but... trying to do this with an aftermarket part to save a buck. I called Hayden coolers and they suggested this one.
A bit of overkill since I won't be hauling GVW quite this big but that's OK.
He said he didn't show any extra parts needed like extra fittings and adapters.
The only thing bothering me is the 3/8 pipe outlets and hoses on the cooler. My truck looks to have larger hoses and pipes, about 7/16.
Would a restriction this small cause any problems?
Daleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't know the specs on the OEM heat exchanger, but I would NOT install a new one that has smaller fittings than the OEM that was part of the trailer towing pkg. Bigger is okay, but not smaller.

When you get it all done, you must do a flow test to be certain that you have adequate flow through the ATF cooling system. Even with a huge heat exchanger and big fittings, you could have kinked a line or a fitting somewhere along the line. I don't know the requirements for your tranny, but the 4R100 in my 1999 SuperDuty required a minimum of one GPM flow back into the tranny after the coolers. That was also one quart in 15 seconds with the engine idling. I suspect that's the same for your tranny but I haven't looked at the specs.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. 2012 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew EcoBoost, 6.5' bed, Platinum White/tan, Leer 100XQ camper shell, Nomad Joey 196S TT, CarMate 7x14' enclosed cargo trailer, three other utility trailers, plus a retired 2000 Keystone Sprinter 25RKS 5er we rarely tow now. ProPride hitch on the TT. Reese Strait-Line hitch on the cargo trailer.
smokeywren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #3

The Dorman 918-204 which Dorman lists as a direct replacement for the oem cooler has 1/2" inlet and outlet. Plus with one of those "universal" kits, they're for old school setups with the smaller fittings in the radiator that just screw in.

Last edited by seaeagle2; 02-13-2014 at 07:22 PM.
seaeagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #4

Thanks everybody. I will stay away from the 3/8 models.
Seaeagle, I had forgot that you had told me before that your Dorman model had 1/2 pipes.
That is what I'll get.
Was that lower Ford hose the only extra part you had to buy?
Probably not very expensive was it?

Last edited by Daleford; 02-13-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: extra text
Old 02-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #5

I got the Dorman cooler and it snapped right into the bracket that was already mounted on the radiator, the part number for the bottom hose is 9L3Z*7B028*G, it was around 20 bucks online. I needed a hose clamp for the upper connection, I just cut the metal part off the hose and slipped it onto the cooler and clamped it. The hardest part is you need the TRANSMISSION quick disconect tool, the FUEL/ AC tool looks real similar, but it's too thick to work.

Last edited by seaeagle2; 02-13-2014 at 07:54 PM.
seaeagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle2 View Post
I got the Dorman cooler and it snapped right into the bracket that was already mounted on the radiator, the part number for the bottom hose is 9L3Z*7B028*G, it was around 20 bucks online. I needed a hose clamp for the upper connection, I just cut the metal part off the hose and slipped it onto the cooler and clamped it. The hardest part is you need the TRANSMISSION quick disconect tool, the FUEL/ AC tool looks real similar, but it's too thick to work.
OK I have a Ford buddy with the proper tool for the trans cooler line.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 PM