Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 06-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Ride-Rite vs extra leaf spring

Hi folks
I just sold my Sierra 1500 HD and bought a F-150 and I haul a horse trailer not very often but liked the heavy leafs in the rear of my sierra. Im thinking of installing an air ride like the ride-rite or just adding a leaf to the springs. Im not familiar with air lift bags at all so if anyone could offer some insight that would be great. I don't want the rear to squat and have the nose up in the air or the opposite when no load and have the rear higher than the front either so do I need to do anything to the front as well?
savagesultin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #2

Add a leaf's are popular.
Wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #3

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Add a leaf is easiest and cheapest, but least amount of adjustability.

Air-bags w/on-board compressor is the most expensive and most complicated, but is fully adjustable for any load - often times at the push of a button.

So it really depends what you want to accomplish and how much impact to your wallet you're willing to pay for it.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagesultin View Post
Hi folks
I just sold my Sierra 1500 HD and bought a F-150 and I haul a horse trailer not very often but liked the heavy leafs in the rear of my sierra. Im thinking of installing an air ride like the ride-rite or just adding a leaf to the springs. Im not familiar with air lift bags at all so if anyone could offer some insight that would be great. I don't want the rear to squat and have the nose up in the air or the opposite when no load and have the rear higher than the front either so do I need to do anything to the front as well?
Have you tried hauling your trailer yet? Wait and see . . .

2012 Race Red FX4 Ecoboost
Luxury Pkg, Max Tow Pkg
Retrax Pro, Black Luverne Nerfs
Amp Research Step
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #5

go with airbags.. It helps take some of the strain on you springs. Saving on broken leaves. I just put a set of bags in mine to help haul the quads around. about 12 lbs and still rides nice. if i need the extra i can just air up some more.
Zrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

RAS
F250 CCSB FX4 6.7 minimaxx, GearHead tuning, egr delete, def dpf delete, airlift bags and wireless controller, TFI 50gal, rollX, AMPboards, BilinVic Retrofits, Rigid Industries 30" SR, Platinum 20s wrapped with 296/65 Toyo ATii`s, PMF 3-link, 2.5" icon coils, SPE 2015 turbo retro kit
jcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't have airbags but have recently installed a set of superpsrings. I only tow 8-10 times a year so I wanted something to help during those times. For those times the springs work great. I didn't like the soft bounce feel with the trailer on with the factory setup. I have had airbags in the past and they have always performed as needed. However I found them to be a bit more hassle during the 90% other times of the year I don't need them. If money was no option I'd pimp out with the on board compressor and bags. Otherwise the supersprings are a good fit.
clearnetedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #8

I have used add-a-leafs in the past and I will in the future. Adding an extra long leaf is the way to go because it does a better job of controlling spring wind up. If you want to keep the ride height down that you can replace the long leaf that you have with a thicker one. Any of these 2 changes can be done at a good spring shop for a lot less than buying some boutique spring and having it installed at a some garage. You may also be surprised at the level of expertise that a good spring shop will bring to the table.
Boulevard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #9

I put Timbren SES on mine.
Its not active while unloaded.

http://timbren.com/

2008 F150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4, 3.73's
2012 Jayco Whitehawk 28DSBH
08f150fromNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevard View Post
I have used add-a-leafs in the past and I will in the future. Adding an extra long leaf is the way to go because it does a better job of controlling spring wind up. If you want to keep the ride height down that you can replace the long leaf that you have with a thicker one. Any of these 2 changes can be done at a good spring shop for a lot less than buying some boutique spring and having it installed at a some garage. You may also be surprised at the level of expertise that a good spring shop will bring to the table.
Not really sure how this is the way to go? adding a extra leaf may take a little bit of axle wrap out but does not do a better job of supporting the load. You are still putting all the load force and weight on the springs. I have not owned a truck yet that has not had a broken spring do to weight. With airbags you are releaving some of the load weigh strait down to the axle taking the strain and pressure off the leaves. I have not personally see a truck that has been running bags with a broken spring and i work in a rv park and see a lot of heavy loads. My boss also runs bags and hauls heavy loads over some extramly rough terrain and still going strong with stock springs and bags.
Zrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM