Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake Drag While Towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Rear Brake Drag While Towing

First trip with a small (15ft.) tandem axle Toy Hauler. 2000 F-150, off road, tow package using a weight distribution hitch and a quality, properly set, inertia electronic brake system. OK on the freeway (warm) but in the city the rear disc brakes got hot. One side so bad the tape from the wheel weights let go.
I took off the wheel, pads and rotors good, cleaned the piston, pushed it in and greased the pad rails with caliper grease. This helped but they still get warm.
Admittedly they are likely stock rear pads at 80,000 miles. Fronts are fine, new pads. I am thinking of replacing the rear pads with the same compound and lightly sanding the rotors. Thoughts?
Old 04-16-2016, 10:54 PM

Well, I put in new pads, cleaned the pistons before pushing them into the caliper. I even changed the brake fluid in the entire system to Valvoline syth
fluid. Still have drag issues especially on one side. Fed up and bought a rebuilt caliper. THAT fixed it. Going to replace the other rear caliper.
Hope this helps someone with the same issue. At least it has new brake fluid
Old 04-19-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Glad it fixed it. I had rusted emergency brake parts not releasing. Emer. brake shoes are under hat portion of rotor. The lever asm. were badly rusted.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:06 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

overtime...yes caliper piston can stick/hang on seal....also the flex hose to the calipers and the rear diff drop hose....may collapse internally- restrict flow return to master..so there is lots to check..
Old 07-20-2016, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by raisin
Glad it fixed it. I had rusted emergency brake parts not releasing. Emer. brake shoes are under hat portion of rotor. The lever asm. were badly rusted.
I think this may be part of the issue.
No heat build up until I tow.
I have read the E brake can cause this. I've got rear disc and will pull the rotors and check the E brakes. I don't think its the hose because one side is worse. Will report back.....
Old 05-29-2018, 10:18 AM

Long term update: Replaced the rubber lines, still got hot, pulled the Ebrake shoes on one side equally hot both sides this weekend. It was in the 90's, I did not have any motorcycles in the RV. the whole axle / differential gets hot. I have replaced the gear oil and re-sealed the diff. cover long ago, used synthetic Valvoline gear oil....as I recall. I believe the added heat just causes so much expansion the brakes drag more. Maybe the 'ole half ton is at it's limit for towing though I did run the numbers.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Drag While Towing