Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real World Towing With the 5.0 & A TUNER

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Real World Towing With the 5.0 & A TUNER

I just purchased an F150 Supercrew, 4x4 with the 5.0 and 3.55 axle for towing. I will be towing a 6000 lb camping trailer with the family. I was told a “Tuner” will give me more horse power and more torque, which will give me better fuel economy. How much more horse power and torque will it really give me compared to the Ford settings??

Can someone with a Tuner tell me if they can really tell a difference with or without a tuner. If so what are the better brand names on the market and what kind of horse and torque should I expect.

Also will it void the Ford warranty on the truck?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked my service guy and he told me that ford "set up the 2011 and newer" to lock the number 8 cyl and void the warranty. If you find out different let me know.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtoad
I asked my service guy and he told me that ford "set up the 2011 and newer" to lock the number 8 cyl and void the warranty. If you find out different let me know.

Thanks
not true at all
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jtoad
Thanks
That's ridiculous. You need to find a new service guy.

OP, a tuner will make a significant difference in driveability and performance. From what I've seen 30-40 HP over stock can be had with just a tune. It's definately worth the upgrade.

5 star tuning and Livernois seem to be the 2 big ones on this forum.

As for the warranty, the answer tends to be a lot more complicated than a simple yes or no. Ford cannot void any portion of your warranty unless the modification directly caused the issue. There are always people in the tune/warranty threads who say that Ford will blame any issues on the tune and refuse to offer warranty service on the truck. I have never heard of that happening from a first-hand source, and I've never heard of a warranty being voided from a tune. But I suppose it's possible to run into issues with warranty work on a tuned truck, so just keep that in mind.
The following users liked this post:
5star (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by travisb05
not true at all
Forgot a link to a forum page, but the 5.0l and 6.2l engine won't leave a trace behind when you put it back to factory setting tune. The 3.5l ecoboost can be track down but like it been said before its depended on your dealer and how they deal with it.

I would ask your dealer about this and see their perspective on tunes first. But the 5.0 being tuned is fine and is an animal with a tune, boss intake with aftermarket cold air intake and custom exhaust.Ford made the 5.0l very underrated to keep ecoboost engine sale up.

5star from Mike a great tune for daily driving and especially when towing. I would recommend it. Livernois is a popular tune for the ecoboost and their tunes are great and reliable. Would stick to 5star more in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Real World Towing With the 5.0 & A TUNER