Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ramps for loading ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Default ramps for loading ATVs

Hello,

Anybody got a recommendation for high quality loading ramps used to drive my heavy utility quad up into the bed of a supercrew? I'd prefer them to be at least 8 ft in length. I've seen the ramps from longramps.com, but wondering if there any others out there. A set from longramps will be $325 after shipping.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Ittybittyfitty
Hello,

Anybody got a recommendation for high quality loading ramps used to drive my heavy utility quad up into the bed of a supercrew? I'd prefer them to be at least 8 ft in length. I've seen the ramps from longramps.com, but wondering if there any others out there. A set from longramps will be $325 after shipping.
I am also curious about this. I would also like the ramps to fit into my 6.5' bed with the tailgate shut since my quad does.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mass-hole
I am also curious about this. I would also like the ramps to fit into my 6.5' bed with the tailgate shut since my quad does.

The 8 footers from long ramps will. They fold in half so they would fit in the cab if you wanted them too. I was just hoping for a cheaper option.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Harbor Freight ramps, pretty strong & cheap. Used them to load a Harley in the truck no problem.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ADDcole
I use Harbor Freight ramps, pretty strong & cheap. Used them to load a Harley in the truck no problem.
I have a set of arched folding aluminum ramps that I bought from Northern Tool in 2007. Still in use today

They were something like this but I did not pay that much for them. If you can wait it out they go on sale of have coupons come up.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_15771_15771
Old 04-20-2016, 08:49 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

I got these....http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/84.......:thumbsup:

on sale too this week...lmao...
Old 04-20-2016, 08:54 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts

Many moons ago I had a bike and just made ramps with ramp ends and a...2x8, 2x10, 2x12; something in that size.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:14 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by miihere
Many moons ago I had a bike and just made ramps with ramp ends and a...2x8, 2x10, 2x12; something in that size.
I did too initially and it is a very cheap way to go.

However they have some pitfalls which is why I eventually went to a manufactured set.

Wood is slippery in good conditions and dangerous in wet or muddy. The aluminum ramps have grips built into them Yes you can make wood better but that leads into pitfall number two.

Wood is heavy, at least compared to a good set of aluminum ramps.

Difficult to make a good set of folding wood ramps, nice to store them in the cab when offroad so they don't walk away.

Wood gets weak over time and is really not made to withstand a load on its flat side. Wood is strong when standing up. They work but I have had and have seen many break. Quads tend to flip on top of you when one ramp breaks on the way up or down.

Again, wood does function and is cheaper but just my experience above.

FWIW my good friend, who is very frugal, used wood for years and broke a couple times. He finally bought a set of aluminum folding ramps after his quad ended up on top of him once. Minor injuries and some damage to the quad.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I would buy a single unit ramp as opposed to two individual ramps. Thats a disaster waiting to happen. I know two people who have experienced ramps slipping off while loading. One got lucky and the other had to crawl about 1/4 mile with a broken hip to flag down a car on the county road.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out atvlongramps.com- great quality

Quick Reply: ramps for loading ATVs