Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick check with the guys pulling with a 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Default Quick check with the guys pulling with a 5.4

We just put our TT in it's winter home. About 300kms away pulling through hills. Morbid curiosity had me watching the tach. I seem to sit consistently in 5th jumping to 4th from time to time on longer light grades. It will sit in 6th on long flat stretches as long as I am not humping a wind. So, RPM wise, usually about 1900- 2600, occassionaly into the low threes. Temps good. When we were heading down the Frenchman valley (8% grade) and the engine was braking- it would bounce off 4000 rpm. 3.55s BTW- TT is a 26' about 5900 to 6000 loaded up.

The question I have- is this fairly normal across the board pulling with the 5.4? It's a curiosity I have- just want to see if I am running the same as most. We are thinking about a mountain trip next year... just want to make sure I'm not going to work that poor engine into the ground
Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I have an expedition el with the 5.4 that I towed my 30' TT with. I would say your right about the same rpm range I was in. I know its a diff truck and I think I had 3.73 gears. But seems like your pretty close
The following users liked this post:
smurfs_of_war (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

about right. we have a smaller 19ft weighing in at 4000lbs loaded and see the same numbers. maybe a bit more time in 6th gear with a tailwind. I've recently added a performance tune from 5 star and expect it to run a bit easier from the way it has been acting without the trailer.
smurfs_of_war (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 11:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, sounds normal. Really it all depends on how fast you go -- flatland pushing air with a boxy TT shape, uphill of course the weight.

You determine the fuel economy and powertrain life by your right foot.

FYI when pulling up steep hills I shoot for 3,500 RPM in my 5.4. It is really happy there; makes good power, stays cool, doesn't destroy itself. I try hard not to let arbitrary speed goals mess with my head. Just let the load, TCM, and PCM negotiate a happy gear and pace.

Likewise on freeways I try to find a pace where it can pull it mostly in 5th gear without a lot of constant shifting.
smurfs_of_war (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 12:15 AM
Flatlander

All right! Thanks for the feedback. I caught myself lugging a bit going back up that valley. Its a learning game for me to find the shift points with the drive by wire.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war
Its a learning game for me to find the shift points with the drive by wire.
Ditto!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Grandpa's big Blue Truck

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Where are you going next year in the mountains ( BC? ) as long as you stay on main highways most are not as much grade as the Frenchman valley but much longer. I have pulled super b's in BC and Montana so I might be able to give you some info on what it is like
where you are heading .
Old 10-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Flatlander

Originally Posted by russellsawatsky
Where are you going next year in the mountains ( BC? ) as long as you stay on main highways most are not as much grade as the Frenchman valley but much longer. I have pulled super b's in BC and Montana so I might be able to give you some info on what it is like
where you are heading .
We'll likely start with Fairmont- we go there every second year and stay in the condos (hot springs) for a little skiing and relaxing. Ok, to be honest- the kids ski, I sit in the hot springs and go into a coma, but thats always in the winter. I've wanted to go there in the summer.
But, we haven't nailed down a definite destination yet. Still up in the air I guess.

Last edited by smurfs_of_war; 10-09-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:25 AM
Grandpa's big Blue Truck

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Herd it's a good place to go I have driven by it many times . Towing your tt I would recommend coming up from highway 3 or down from Golden . Highway 93 is the shortest but very steep grades , best scenery vary hard on brakes. Hope this helps should be a fun trip. If you decide to go further west on 3 take the ferry the Kootenai pass is vary steep and long on west side it levels out halfway down then gets steep again. also your kids will love the ferry
Old 10-11-2013, 02:14 AM
Flatlander

Originally Posted by russellsawatsky
Herd it's a good place to go I have driven by it many times . Towing your tt I would recommend coming up from highway 3 or down from Golden . Highway 93 is the shortest but very steep grades , best scenery vary hard on brakes. Hope this helps should be a fun trip. If you decide to go further west on 3 take the ferry the Kootenai pass is vary steep and long on west side it levels out halfway down then gets steep again. also your kids will love the ferry
We usually come on the 3, but depending on the weather our routes change. We normally head through in storm season so our path changes from time to time.

Quick Reply: Quick check with the guys pulling with a 5.4