Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions about my truck.

2010 Screw 4x4 Platinum.
Called the dealership. Gave them my VIN# and they gave me the following info:

- axle ratio is 3.55
- 9 3/4" rear end with limited slip dif.
- 9600# max loaded trailer weight for conv & 5th wheel towing.
- 15,500#'s GCWR.
- Heavy Duty Trailer Tow pkg w/ transmission oil cooler and digital trailer brake control.

My truck door jamb sticker says this:
- front GAWR 3900#
- Rear GAWR 4050#
- GVWR 7200#.

----With that info given by the dealership compared to the door jamb sticker does something seem off to you guys?

----I tow my two full size ATV's and get a substantial amount of rear end drop.

----I am currently on a "Nitro" leveling kit. I think that equates to 2 1/2" in the front and 1" in the rear.

----I am considering a helper spring. SuperSprings, Sumo springs, etc. do you guys (or gals) have any suggestions? I even considered air bags however this truck has just over 100k miles and I have to toss that much cash in it. If it were brand new I would but would only do it to this one if y'all say it's the ONLY way to go.

----Consider the following. We travel around with these two ATV's on a trailer plus my kids 50 cc atv and camping gear in the bed of the truck. We are planning to start do this further from home (states away) and I want it to tow to the best of its ability.

-- Any help you guys could provide would be much obliged!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

does it have the 5.4l? if so this says you're towing capacity is likely 9600 pds
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...vF150sep09.pdf

this shows (assuming you have the 5.4l) that you have 1510 pds of payload capacity
http://assets.forddirect.fordvehicle...B9E84927B9.pdf

I don't know the weights of the trailer and the 2 atv's but i'm guessing under 4k easy. which should be around a max of 600 pds togne weight i beleive... which leave 910 for the truck... no idea what the 50cc weighs but i'm guessing your good. when you level, I think you notice the squat more than unleveled. most guys like RAS here it seems but for that price you could get air bags... airlift is running a $50 rebate if you buy in april, you could be under $200 if you don't get an on board compressor
Old 04-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
does it have the 5.4l? if so this says you're towing capacity is likely 9600 pds
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...vF150sep09.pdf

this shows (assuming you have the 5.4l) that you have 1510 pds of payload capacity
http://assets.forddirect.fordvehicle...B9E84927B9.pdf
The 1510 lb you see in that pdf for payload is not for a Platinum, it's for a base model SCrew 4x4. All the extras that the Platinum comes with lower the payload substantially. Sticker on the door would tell what it really is though.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 11screw50
The 1510 lb you see in that pdf for payload is not for a Platinum, it's for a base model SCrew 4x4. All the extras that the Platinum comes with lower the payload substantially. Sticker on the door would tell what it really is though.

good catch!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

My 2009 in XLT form has 1304 lbs of payload. The springs on these trucks are soft to provide a comfortable ride. I have added airbags and removed any squat. Installed myself for $400. I can adjust the air so it rides normally unloaded or firm the rear up to deal with any weight that may be added.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

I love and previously used super springs in other trucks. I have the heavy duty payload package now and more in likely I will still install the spur springs just as an extra added benefit.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies folks! The truck has a 5.4L. If I can get bags for under $500 with an on board compressor thats the way i would go. Can't be that hard to install! If i go that route can you guys suggest places to find deals, and suggest what I should get?

Last edited by Hookedonhunting; 04-09-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hookedonhunting
Thanks for the replies folks! The truck has a 5.4L. If I can get bags for under $500 with an on board compressor thats the way i would go. Can't be that hard to install! If i go that route can you guys suggest places to find deals, and suggest what I should get?

that price is easily doable with airlift... you'd also get $50 rebate for the bag kit and another $50 rebate for the on board air kit if you order in April. I haven't used air lift or firestone bags but i've heard good things about both (and also that firestone manufactures air lift's bags but who knows) I have heard on quite a few of the kits you can rip them by lifting the truck by the frame and allowing the axle weight to be on the bags (which makes sense) Air lift says it's fine if it's only momentary; however, there's a review on amazon of a guy lifting his truck by the trailer jack to swing the bars on the L brackets and he ripped them. guess you could add in some limiting straps and still be under $500
Old 04-10-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

This is a bit of a guess but based on experience.

Your load on the trailer is set too far forward giving you too much tongue weight. I cannot see how 2 full sized ATVs on a trailer should make your truck squat. Does this happen to be a snowmobile trailer that you are using? Is so they are set up for sleds that spread their weight out more. Do not move your ATVs right up to the front of the trailer.

A tongue scale would really help you set this up right and likely avoid the need to upgrade the trucks suspension.

Do you have a picture of it set up so we can make some more informed decisions here?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:18 PM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hookedonhunting
2010 Screw 4x4 Platinum.
Called the dealership. Gave them my VIN# and they gave me the following info:

- axle ratio is 3.55
- 9 3/4" rear end with limited slip dif.
- 9600# max loaded trailer weight for conv & 5th wheel towing.
- 15,500#'s GCWR.
- Heavy Duty Trailer Tow pkg w/ transmission oil cooler and digital trailer brake control.

My truck door jamb sticker says this:
- front GAWR 3900#
- Rear GAWR 4050#
- GVWR 7200#.

On that door jamb sticker it should also tell you what your payload is or cargo carrying capacity. Thats the number you need to know too...

I would also venture to say that a Platinum may have different suspension to give it a more plush ride similar to an Escalade versus a F150 used for work or hauling...

Last edited by Norotso; 04-10-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions about my truck.