Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 2014 Limited towing

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question about 2014 Limited towing

I know the limited models have a significantly lower tow rating, even though they have all the towing goodies (TBC, Sway Control, etc.)

From what I have read, this is in part due to the 22" rubber band tires and suspension, as well as all the options in the truck. (I know the Eco is not the problem)

If thats correct, and one bought a limited, and changed to a more Standard rim/tire (Like 20" with real tires" and did a shock swap (say the bilstein coilovers), would that put the limited more in line with normal Ecoboost Supercrew trucks towing capacity (although not officially, but practically/safely)

Reason I ask- I know own one (came from a F350 single wheel diesel). I only tow my Corvette on an open trailer, which is under 6k loaded)

I don't care for the 22" rim setup, and I want to give the truck more stance anyway, so flame away....

Thanks

Last edited by UrbanKnight; 02-01-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:20 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Hey Brian - how ya' doin'???

It's Bob the Vette tire pressure sensor guy down in Port Orange!

I'll try and give you a call tomorrow - I've got your cell# in a PM on the Vette Forum.

Dayum!! You got rid of that big badazz black Super Duty beast???

Well, I think the Limited should do a good job for you.

Here's the door sticker on my King Ranch:

[

Does your Limited have about the same payload capacity as mine? Mine has a lot of options, so maybe you've got more capacity than I do.

My trailer and Vette weigh just a little more than 6,000 lbs with some tools and spares in it. With about 650 or 675 lbs tongue weight and me, my wife, and some luggage in the cab, I'm maxed out and don't have any capacity left for anything in the bed.

I have an Equal-i-zer hitch, and towing with the EcoBoost and WDH make it a very easy tow.

I'm not sure you will need to do anything to make the Limited a great TV. Going to 20" wheels with some better LT tires or such might make it lot more comfortable.

We'll have to get together and compare trucks!!

BTW, check the other forum (Southeast section or the AutoX/Roadrace section) for some info about a couple great track events coming at Daytona and Sebring in April!!

Bob

Last edited by KR Kodi; 02-01-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Added BTW
Old 02-01-2014, 11:33 PM

Hey Bob!

Yeah, I actually sold the black beast, and bought a F350 Harley, which I currently still have... I wanted a luxury truck, but a bit miffed I didn't do more research on how "limited" the limited is... All I heard at the dealer was the 11,300 number over and over... My bad. I only have 100 miles on the truck, and my stomach is a bit in knots, although I know it will be fine in the end...

I'm autocrossing tomorrow, so likely won't be at the phone until the evening.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:30 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Here's the 2014 data including wheel/spring/axle & tow ratings:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...F-150_v1-0.pdf
http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...TTgde_Sep9.pdf

and the payload sticker on your door jamb will reveal how much payload you have left after all the heavy options take away from the maximum ratings.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:50 AM

Thanks. I get that, but that's not what I'm asking
Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
From what I have read, this is in part due to the 22" rubber band tires and suspension, as well as all the options in the truck. (I know the Eco is not the problem)
Reason I ask- I know own one (came from a F350 single wheel diesel). I only tow my Corvette on an open trailer, which is under 6k loaded)
There's not much you can do to increase your truck's GVWR. It's probably 7200# like KR Kodi's Harley, and a lot of other F150's out there.

Those 22" tires and wheels should handle that 7200# GVWR just fine, as do the 17" wheels and tires on all the cheaper 7200# GVWR trucks out there. But they're probably rather heavy and maybe you could change them out and gain a 100# or so of payload.

IMHO the suspension on the ~7200# and ~7500# (MaXTow) F150's is weak to begin with, so heavier shocks, helper springs and LT tires will all help out there. They don't increase your GVWR though.

But with a corvette on a flatbed trailer, and a good WDH with sway control, you should be able to keep your tongue weight down to 10% of the trailer weight, say 600#, and the WDH could throw 10-20% of that back on the trailer ...

If you can keep people and gear in the truck to under 500-600# you might just be fine. A lot of us run our trucks right at or just under their weight limits without problems. Some people are willing to go over, some would rather always be way, way under. Depends upon what you are confortable with.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:24 AM

I'm not overly concerned about the GVWR, just in trailer tugging capacity.

I am a 7200# truck, and my load is 1100# like Kodi, thats no problem, I don't haul a lot of gear. Just want to make the trailer towing as safe as possible, and since I have/came from a F350 with crazy power, a load capacity of 3300#'s and able to tug 18k, I can tow a trailer at 80 with no issue, so wasn't sure how bad life will be with the Eco. But I feel better after watching the Gauntlet video tugging a 10k trailer on a 6% grade with a limited, my stomach calmed down.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm not overly concerned about the GVWR, just in trailer tugging capacity.
Well, you'll have no problem with the Eco power-wise. And the tow/haul tranny is very smooth and works well in the mountains as well as flats.

I'm towing a 7500# travel trailer, with all the issues of wind resistance which you won't have, and it works very well.

Have fun.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks. I get that, but that's not what I'm asking
Sorry. You were asking about ratings and those docs have wheel rating, spring rating, and axle rating information. You'll notice Ford doesn't publish the 22" wheel rating info, and all the rest of the F150 wheels are 2025# ea (less the HD wheels which are 7-lug).
Old 02-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

The tow rating is the tow rating, regardless of the wheels. The load/payload rating is what you need to be concerned with. However, if your combo is 6000 lbs, you should be fine. Just keep the trailer tongue ~600-750 lbs, and don't throw a ton of stuff in the bed.

Quick Reply: Question about 2014 Limited towing