Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling cars from snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pulling cars from snow

We've had record snow in town and a number of cars have slid off or got stuck in their own driveways. I just got my XLT last week. I have a tow strap. Is it better to hook it to a ring in the front and pull backwards or to the chain holes on the hitch (aftermarket)?
Old 02-04-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

Put a hook in the receiver
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Either way as long as you post video when you rip someone's plastic bumper off. I use a stretchy rope, and hook it to my hitch. No jarring and I can take a little run. Sling shots them right out. I have hooked to the front a few times, but rather tow from the back. If some dip stick is gonna slide into my truck. I'd rather have it be the back than the front.
Ricktwuhk (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeRoss
Either way as long as you post video when you rip someone's plastic bumper off. I use a stretchy rope, and hook it to my hitch. No jarring and I can take a little run. Sling shots them right out. I have hooked to the front a few times, but rather tow from the back. If some dip stick is gonna slide into my truck. I'd rather have it be the back than the front.
Haha I know better than to hook on to a bumper. I was looking at the hitch hooks when I found what is basically a giant D-ring that goes in the receiver. I think that might be the better option on my end. The other thing that I would do is make the other drive hook up their end of things so it's on them not me.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

I know this isn't what you asked but I sure hell wouldn't be yanking anyone but my old lady out of the ditch or a close buddy that calls for help.

Everyone is too lawsuit happy and if their vehicles gets damaged, you could be out $100s or $1000s.

Hand them your cell phone and tell them to call AAA
Old 02-04-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Depends on the situation but I prefer to pull in reverse. More control and torque. But all my experience is with a Suburban. As much as I like the F150, it has nothing on the Sub it replaced.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:08 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

I've been pulling people out of snow, sand, and mud for a very long time. If it is a tougher pull you'll get more traction attaching the tow strap to the rear of your truck. It puts weight on the rear wheels plus you have more control. Attaching the tow strap to the front of your truck and towing in reverse will let you see better, but you'll have less traction. I've done it both ways.

It will almost always be easier to pull the stranded vehicle out in the same direction they went in. The hardest part is finding a suitable point to attach to the stranded vehicle.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

My father in law got his plow truck stuck when we were there at Christmas. My wife woke me up to pull him out.

He complained about the loops on the front of my truck then went to drop the loop over the ball attached to his bumper. I told him there was zero chance of that happening and to find another place to attach (and I explained what happens to my truck when the ball comes off and flying toward me). He said he's never heard of that and does it that way all the time, refused to find another place to hook up and went inside to call his brother-in-law to come over.

I moved my truck back to where I had been parked, went inside and got my son then walked over to his truck. The ball was loose enough I could wiggle it easily with my fingers. Spent 5 minutes with a shovel and backed his truck out. His brother-in-law showed up 5 minutes later in a beat up dodge but had nothing to pull out.

I used to pull people out every time I saw someone stuck. Now, not so sure. People are too sue happy. Even if they choose where to attach on their end I could see some jackhole suing if something happens...not to mention if they hook up their end, who knows what might come flying at your truck. It just doesn't seem to pay to be a nice guy these days.

(I did push someone up a hill last winter. Traffic stopped and when it started again she couldn't move. Hit my four-ways, jumped out of my truck and pushed her up the hill, went back and drove up after her).
Ricktwuhk (02-06-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Just be careful, lots of people get hit and killed on the sides of snow covered roads.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by acs259
We've had record snow in town and a number of cars have slid off or got stuck in their own driveways. I just got my XLT last week. I have a tow strap. Is it better to hook it to a ring in the front and pull backwards or to the chain holes on the hitch (aftermarket)?
Just an FYI

A tow strap is for towing a vehicle, not recovery. A recovery strap is for pulling vehicles out of a stuck situation.

Know the difference and use the correct tool for the job.

Also, since you are asking the question, I assume you are inexperienced in vehicle recovery. I know we all need to start somewhere but a strangers vehicle is not the place to learn on. It is far to easy to cause damage to the other vehicle and the odds are they may want you to cover those costs.
EcoBoostJake (02-13-2017)