Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with pin outs truck side

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Default problems with pin outs truck side

2012 F-150 fx4. even though I have a diagram I want to verify for myself the pin outs. With my test light I can find the 12v constant but cannot get anything else. I put on 4 ways to try and verify the tail stop/directional but I dont get anything at the 7 pin connector. I want to verify my truck side pin outs and I cant get anything to the trailer?! With camper hooked up no clearance tail or stops.....

I cannot get much when I hook up my camper. but I need to move the trailer wires to the correct pin outs. I have verified via sight the wire colors on the truck side but again when I test say tail lights via the 7 pin I cannot get them or they show not working via the 7 pin connector.

I gotta atleast get tails and directionals and stop but I can seem to get it right????????

IOh and it does have the Tow Package so wiring to the 7pin and 5 pin is there..just wanted to be sure I give FULL story....

I just got trailer brake enable yesterday..anything else I need to do...they put in the relay and fuse for the trailer battery charger and thats the only wire I can verify on the pin out......

what the hell is up?!?!?!?

Basically I cant seem to properly VERIFY with a test light the truck side pinouts.

Last edited by 2wheelgnnr; 05-27-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: additional
Old 05-27-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Sorry but your post is very hard to follow. You might want to make some grammatical changes there.

Grounding is not done by the trailer ball but through the wiring. if just testing you could use the ball but it is not recommended. In addition you will want to ensure that the ground wire pin is functioning as well.

Have you actually plugged in a trailer to see if that works?
Old 05-27-2016, 10:21 AM

okay I tried to clean up and I will test via the 7 pin proper ground once I verify the ground is grounded and working properly. I have verified truck side via wire colors but dont seem to get proper responses. ie when I see blue for elec brake and press brake while testing with test light no output that i can see. again all relays are in and dealer activated yesterday. Thanks for advise.

is there anything else I need to do to send power to the trailer plug. the truck came with tow package but again I had to add the electric brake controller and the dealer turned on yesterday and added the proper fuse & relay for the battery charger portion. Fuse and relay #9 and #21.

I found the others that should be there and debating checking that first and formost.

Last edited by 2wheelgnnr; 05-27-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: additional
Old 05-27-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

I am assuming the truck is still under warranty if you had the dealer do the work. Did they not check before it left that everything was functioning?
Old 05-27-2016, 02:01 PM

thats what I was thinking too...I asked them if the will check it when dropped off and they ofcourse said yes...I didnt think to ask them when I picked it up. I may have to call or take back. all they said is that they had to unhook the power to my Plow control module as it was in the spot they needed for the trailer relay. damn....thats what I get for waiting till the last second before taking camper out.

Quick Reply: problems with pin outs truck side