Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power trailer refrigerator from 7-pin harness on truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Power trailer refrigerator from 7-pin harness on truck?

The normal answer........no, but there is more to my question. I recently picked up a tent trailer that has no fridge. The wiring is there but I don't want to spend $600+ on an RV fridge. However I found a thermoelectric fridge that is ac/dc and looks perfect for my use. It draws 6 amps and 72 watts on DC. From all the reviews I read it actually gets really cold and is silent. While it may be theremoelectric, it has heat piping and still uses R134 refrigerant. Its more like a thermoelectric fridge with a boost.

Amazon.com: Koolatron AC/DC Heat Pipe Fridge: Appliances Amazon.com: Koolatron AC/DC Heat Pipe Fridge: Appliances

Now, I know that a normal RV fridge would draw too much power for the standard wiring that a 7-pin can handle, but can it handle the 6 amps and 72 watts? In theory, it would be nice for the truck to power the fridge on the road. I've already tested the constant 12v power on the trailer harness with it hooked to the truck, it powered the inside lights and the porch light. Any insight would be appreciated. My truck is 2013 with the 3.7.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

does the trailer have a battery onboard for inside lights? if so the fridge could be connected there and use the trailer plug for charging the battery..

me- I would use 2 batteries-deep cycles for the trailer and let the truck charge them while towing or when needed during the daytime while camping..
Old 11-22-2014, 02:10 PM

It does not have a battery installed but is wired for it. I didn't want to install one since we'll always go to a campground with shore power. Thats why I wanted to know what the 7-pin on the truck can handle since the trailer is already wired up for 12v constant.

Originally Posted by Steve Osborne
does the trailer have a battery onboard for inside lights? if so the fridge could be connected there and use the trailer plug for charging the battery..

me- I would use 2 batteries-deep cycles for the trailer and let the truck charge them while towing or when needed during the daytime while camping..
Old 11-22-2014, 03:17 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Check out the information on this site. What you want to do seems like it would work.

http://www.randpcarriages.com/tech/7waywirecolors.html
Old 11-22-2014, 03:18 PM

so the trailer should have a 120vac to 12vdc converter to charge the onboard battery when plugged in at the campground..
Old 11-22-2014, 03:41 PM

It does have a converter but it is an old magnetek model. It didn't include a charge function. I don't even know if the thing works, haven't plugged it yet. I'll be replacing it with a better anyways but I am not adding a battery if I don't need too. I just need to know if the wiring will support the fridge while driving since it would take 2 min to wire it up.

so the trailer should have a 120vac to 12vdc converter to charge the onboard battery when plugged in at the campground..
Old 11-22-2014, 04:14 PM

the wire will handle the amps, just the auto shutdown relay will disconnect all power from the fuse box on the truck once its shutdown only certain items will have power...I think its about 20mins before it shuts down..and the trailer plug has relays controlling the pins- signals/brakes/charge.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:45 PM

Great, sounds perfect! I'm not worried about it shutting down, I won't ever be stopped for more than an hour anyways and it should stay cool on its own. This fridge sounds like the perfect option except that it is an inch too wide but I can always modify the cabinet opening.

the wire will handle the amps, just the auto shutdown relay will disconnect all power from the fuse box on the truck once its shutdown only certain items will have power...I think its about 20mins before it shuts down..and the trailer plug has relays controlling the pins- signals/brakes/charge.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I think that a battery is a good idea.

Last edited by Boulevard; 11-23-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If your trailer has brakes you need a battery. If not the breakaway switch will not work. Also in most trailers the interior lights work off of 12vdc. So I would really look into installing a battery before towing it.

Quick Reply: Power trailer refrigerator from 7-pin harness on truck?