Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Adders and Towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Adders and Towing

OK. Real World. What are the advantages of adding HP to my truck for towing? Not it looks good, it sounds good, I got xxx horses.
The bottom line for towing is fuel economy during the pull.
Yes, I expect to take a hit on gas mileage, but what can I do mitigate that somewhat?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Kirk
Old 07-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

If you can lower the power band (more power at lower RPM), you have the potential of saving fuel. I run an 87 or 89 octane tow tune with premium fuel and get a little better fuel mileage than I do stock, and certainly more than with 87 octane. BTW, adding torque is what you want to do, but don't expect miracles.
Folks love to add exhaust systems with dual exhaust or much larger pipes, which typically moves the power band up and defeats the purpose for towing.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 07-18-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Most of the benefits on a gasser come in the form of transmission tuning. Yes there are some HP & TQ gains but they can be minimal unless you have a boosted motor like the ecoboost!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:47 AM

Talking

Excellent! This Is what I'm looking for.
I'm not expecting to bring 8mpg up to 12, but 9 or 10 would be nice. Every little bit helps.
Any recommendations for a '12 5.0 supercrew (I hate to call Wanda a screw. Just don't seem right.) as far as programmer/programs? I don't want to modify the engine itself (cams, lifters, etc) but I'm not adverse to bolt-ons.

I have advocated torque over horses for a long time. It's a better measure of work done.

Kirk
Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
If you can lower the power band (more power at lower RPM), you have the potential of saving fuel. I run an 87 or 89 octane tow tune with premium fuel and get a little better fuel mileage than I do stock, and certainly more than with 87 octane. BTW, adding torque is what you want to do, but don't expect miracles.
Folks love to add exhaust systems with dual exhaust or much larger pipes, which typically moves the power band up and defeats the purpose for towing.
I heard a larger single is better for towing since it still keeps the power lower. OP what motor do you have? On my old truck with the 5.4 I had a computer, intake and 3" single exhaust. It had a ton of towing power but the ecoboost I have now is a whole other level with the way it works.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by 03Scott
I heard a larger single is better for towing since it still keeps the power lower. OP what motor do you have?
I have a '12 super crew w/ the 5.0 V8. I'm old school, and I couldn't convince myself to pay $1k more for a 6 cyl.

I have been browsing around looking for info, but everyone is modding for top end power. Top end could help, as long as there are gains through the whole curve. I'm just going to have to keep digging.

Kirk
Old 07-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

A tuner is going to be the most bang for the buck. In the 2011+ Engines section, there is a new thread called Diary of a 5.0L Tune ***** that can point you in the right direction. IMO, an intake is going to be a waste of money and my experience indicated a loss of low-end with those. Gibson makes exhausts designed for towing, but I still think a tuner is your best bet.
https://www.f150forum.com/f70/diary-...-*****-218684/
Just remember not to tow with a performance tune, only use a tow tune for that.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 07-20-2013 at 08:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
crazy4oldcars (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 10:25 AM

Thanks, SkiSmuggs. I appreciate the pointer.

Kirk

Quick Reply: Power Adders and Towing