Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plow for 01 F-150 ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow for 01 F-150 ???

Yes, I've recently bought a 2001 Ford F-150 180.000 miles and would like to purchase and mount a plow on it but don't want to over do it and would like to have the exact fit installed on my truck .. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2014, 07:27 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaneInsane90
Yes, I've recently bought a 2001 Ford F-150 180.000 miles and would like to purchase and mount a plow on it but don't want to over do it and would like to have the exact fit installed on my truck .. Any suggestions ? Thanks
I would say anything under 7'6" wide you should be fine. there's lots of half ton plows out there. such as the fisher ht
Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaneInsane90
Yes, I've recently bought a 2001 Ford F-150 180.000 miles and would like to purchase and mount a plow on it but don't want to over do it and would like to have the exact fit installed on my truck .. Any suggestions ?

Ford says a snowplow cannot be mounted on most 2001 F-150s. Check the GVWR, and if it's less than 7,700, then Ford doesn't allow a snowplow to be mounted. That means if the wheels do not have 7 lugbolts, then the F-150 is too light-duty to mount a snowplow.

If your pickup has 7,700 GVWR, then next is which snowplow? The permanently attached hardware cannot weigh more than 50 pounds, and the removable snowplow parts cannot exceed 650 pounds. So that means only a smaller plow. And the plow dealer is responsible to mount it in accordance with Ford's requirements. Don't try to DIYunless you are intimately familiar with Ford's reuirements as to how to mount a snowplow on an F-150.

After you have it all mounted and ready to go to work (including anything in the bed such as ballast or sand/salt along or a sand/salt spreader, go to a truckstop that has a truck scale and fill up with gas. Then weigh the wet and loaded pickup. If the weight on the front axle or rear axle exceeds the fGARW or rGARW, or if the combined weight on both axles exceeds the GVWR of the pickup, then you're overloaded and your pickup probably will have a short life plowing snow. So if you're overloaded, get rid of some weight. Unload the tools and jacks and any passengers. Reduce the weight of ballast or sand/gravel you're trying to haul. Then reweigh the wet and loaded F-150 to be sure you're not overloaded bevore you attempt to plow snow.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a 7'6" MD snowdogg on an 01 screw, and it holds the plow just fine. I did buy the truck used, and I believe previous owner cranked the torsion bars a bit. Plow manufacturer calls for 900 lbs of ballast, but I only have about 750. If the truck is payed off who cares what Ford says.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Fisher seven and a half foot plow on my 01 reg cab 7700. The truck was used for the last ten years to plow my boss's driveway and was a champ. I bought it and use it do my driveway and a few others, no problems what so ever. With the plow hooked up the front end does sit low and I have to leave the plow straight while I drive otherwise the blade drags on the pavement. I have been thinking of doing a leveling kit on the truck to get the frot end higher.

Quick Reply: Plow for 01 F-150 ???