Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Power on 7 Pin Trailer Connector for Salter

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No Power on 7 Pin Trailer Connector for Salter

I am having a problem with a salter. It seems to have no power as well. Has anyone had this problem as well. I plug it in the 7 way connector and it says nothing, like there isn't anything plugged in. I have a 2015 Lariat F150 with the plow prep package. I checked all the fuses and all the trailer fuses are in, I set up a trailer profile with surge brakes like someone listed earlier and I still have nothing. I took it off and plugged it into a different truck and the salter is working properly. has anyone had any issues, or have any ideas to try. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:32 PM
Beer Drinkin Hell Raiser

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Thumbs up Salter

Only thing I can think of is checking the power at the plug with a
test light. If there isn't maybe 1 of the fuses are burnt out.

Originally Posted by ESKALA
I am having a problem with a salter. It seems to have no power as well. Has anyone had this problem as well. I plug it in the 7 way connector and it says nothing, like there isn't anything plugged in. I have a 2015 Lariat F150 with the plow prep package. I checked all the fuses and all the trailer fuses are in, I set up a trailer profile with surge brakes like someone listed earlier and I still have nothing. I took it off and plugged it into a different truck and the salter is working properly. has anyone had any issues, or have any ideas to try. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it say no trailer detected on the dash? I believe its been discussed here or in the 2015 forum that the 7 pin will not have power unless it detects a trailer. You might have to rig up a brake light or running light or something to fool it into thinking there is a trailer back there.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MikeNC
Does it say no trailer detected on the dash? I believe its been discussed here or in the 2015 forum that the 7 pin will not have power unless it detects a trailer. You might have to rig up a brake light or running light or something to fool it into thinking there is a trailer back there.
It does say no trailer detected. Although I did set up a trailer profile for the salter and it shows the accumulating mileage for it. It did give me a message after about a mile of driving saying trailer battery not charging check trailer, but it still did not fix the problem. I have triple checked all the fuses and they are all fine, I checked the underwood fuse block and the passenger compartment fuse block and everything is good. This is a real stumped cause I love the truck, but really need tof use a salter on it for work.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ESKALA
It does say no trailer detected. Although I did set up a trailer profile for the salter and it shows the accumulating mileage for it. It did give me a message after about a mile of driving saying trailer battery not charging check trailer, but it still did not fix the problem. I have triple checked all the fuses and they are all fine, I checked the underwood fuse block and the passenger compartment fuse block and everything is good. This is a real stumped cause I love the truck, but really need tof use a salter on it for work.
Had the same issue. Once it detects power draw the circuit opens. I plugged a light into it an it lit up even though a test light showed no power. You need to add something to draw power (an in-line bulb?) and you will get the power you need.

The best option is to run a new power line from the battery though.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2013Boss302
Had the same issue. Once it detects power draw the circuit opens. I plugged a light into it an it lit up even though a test light showed no power. You need to add something to draw power (an in-line bulb?) and you will get the power you need.

The best option is to run a new power line from the battery though.
I was thinking about running a whole new plug and power directly from the battery as well, but I didn't want to have 2 plugs in the back. I wonder if a threw a light on top of the salter, like a white flood light if it would work. And you said I should run it off the auxilary pin? Or a different pin?
Old 01-03-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Hook it to the B+ terminal. One o'clock as you look into the socket.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Just saw earlier today a thread about adding brake controller (OEM) and that it came with a fuse and relay that have to be installed in the fuse block under the hood to provide power for battery charging, etc. on the trailer plug. Could that be the issue?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by OPsDad
Just saw earlier today a thread about adding brake controller (OEM) and that it came with a fuse and relay that have to be installed in the fuse block under the hood to provide power for battery charging, etc. on the trailer plug. Could that be the issue?

Not on the 15 and 16 MY the relay and fuse was for the 14 and below.
The following users liked this post:
OPsDad (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlarv
Not on the 15 and 16 MY the relay and fuse was for the 14 and below.
Thanks. That removes a concern that they didn't do it when they installed my OEM controller...

Quick Reply: No Power on 7 Pin Trailer Connector for Salter