Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No brake controller - towing package

Old 09-20-2014, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No brake controller - towing package

Just bought 2014 F150 STX Supercrew/ 5.0.

It has towing package but no brake controller. I was told by sales guy that my truck would use trailer brakes even with no controller as long as the 7 pin connector is used. Is this true? I am getting a trailer next week that has brakes. The trailer is just over 200lbs. In my state anything over 2000lbs must have/use trailer brakes.

If I do need controller does any one have a suggestion on which one to use? I like the looks of factory one. Can after market ones use the same cubby that the factory one does? I read about flashing the computer with the OEM one. Do I need to flash with aftermarket?

Any idea how much this should cost(ball park). Anything else I need to know about this issue?

Thanks for your input.

Russ
Old 09-20-2014, 11:16 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by mucka

It has towing package but no brake controller. I was told by sales guy that my truck would use trailer brakes even with no controller as long as the 7 pin connector is used. Is this true?

Russ
No, it is not true. Electric brakes require a controller. A trailer with surge brakes does not.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:17 PM

I added a ford brake controller to my 2014 ecoboost., it was $340 installed and reflash.. I was under the impression that you have to install one for correct brake usage on trailer
The following users liked this post:
Cover Dog (10-06-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,088 Posts

I would go back and get the sales guy and the general manager in one room and let them put in what the sales guy told you. Sales guys lie...thats thier job. If it's a stand up dealer... they will fix there wrong... if they tell you get lost.. park your truck in front there lot for a few days with big sign in the window telling customers what they did to you.. good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Truckin:
Andrade (09-22-2014), Storeman (09-22-2014)
Old 09-20-2014, 11:51 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

It has towing package but no brake controller.
The Ford integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) comes only on F-150s that have the max tow pkg. And Max Tow is available only on F-150s with the EcoBoost engine. However, the ITBC is available as a factory option on any F-150 that has the regular tow package. And if it's not on your truck, you can order it from parts and have the dealer install it and flash your PCM (powertrain control module, or main computer that controls the engine and tranny).

I was told by sales guy that my truck would use trailer brakes even with no controller as long as the 7 pin connector is used. Is this true?
No. You must have a brake controller of some type, either the OEM ITBC or something from the aftermarket.

If I do need controller does any one have a suggestion on which one to use?
The Ford factory optional ITBC is the one you want. It's better than any aftermarket trailer brake controller I've used over dozens of years.

I read about flashing the computer with the OEM one. Do I need to flash with aftermarket?
No. None of the aftermarket controllers are integrated with your truck's electronic controls or computers.

Any idea how much this should cost(ball park). Anything else I need to know about this issue?
The kit will probably cost you $220 MSRP from your Ford dealer, plus one hour of labor to install it and flash the PCM to let the truck know you have the ITBC. Or you can buy it online for less, such as $190 from one source on Amazon.com, or $170 from:
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...-brake-control

Then it will still cost you about one hour labor for your Ford dealer to plug it in and flash the PCM.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the input. I will get the Ford unit. installed.

Thanks
Russ
Old 09-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Thanks for the input. I will get the Ford unit. installed.

Good plan. I usually print out the Tousley Ford Parts web page with the part number and price and give that to my dealer, then ask him what he'll charge me for the same part. Usually he'll match the price, or at least charge me not more than 10% over his invoice cost.* Then I have his service department install the part, and tip the tech a $20 bill for "a beer or three on me". Because my Ford dealer is an itty bitty dealership, I deal directly with the dealer himself, the service manager, and the tech. And I get good service from them on the rare occasions that my Ford needs service.

*(Tousley Ford was bought out by AutoNation a year or so ago, but they still maintain the old TousleyFordParts website with good prices for OEM Ford parts. Taska Parts also has good prices, but for some reason their website is not as easy to navigate to find the part you want, so I usually go to Tousley. )
www.TousleyFordParts.com is the same as http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Last edited by smokeywren; 09-21-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
The Ford integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) comes only on F-150s that have the max tow pkg. And Max Tow is available only on F-150s with the EcoBoost engine. However, the ITBC is available as a factory option on any F-150 that has the regular tow package. And if it's not on your truck, you can order it from parts and have the dealer install it and flash your PCM (powertrain control module, or main computer that controls the engine and tranny).

No. You must have a brake controller of some type, either the OEM ITBC or something from the aftermarket.

The Ford factory optional ITBC is the one you want. It's better than any aftermarket trailer brake controller I've used over dozens of years.

No. None of the aftermarket controllers are integrated with your truck's electronic controls or computers.

The kit will probably cost you $220 MSRP from your Ford dealer, plus one hour of labor to install it and flash the PCM to let the truck know you have the ITBC. Or you can buy it online for less, such as $190 from one source on Amazon.com, or $170 from:
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...-brake-control

Then it will still cost you about one hour labor for your Ford dealer to plug it in and flash the PCM.
I have the regular tow package and have the factory brake controller. So did my last tuck set up the same say. I think you only need the regular tow package.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Sourcing Ford ITBC

I bought the Ford ITBC via eBay and installed it myself. I prearranged to have the Dealer flash it @ n/c. Works well.

The ITBC Connector you need to plug in is captured on the rear of the removed Cubby. See Pic #1 below.

To charge a Camping Trailer 'House' Battery [or any other towed Battery] while driving, you need to install the 30 Amp Fuse, and the Relay provided in a Bag with the Truck. These Parts, supplied as part of the 'regular' Tow Package, were in my 2014 STX SCab Glove Box.

The Fuse and Relay mentioned go into the Fuse Box on top of the Radiator. See Pic #2.

The supplied Grey/Red Connector in Pic #3 is not used. It is used only when installing a non-Ford, Aftermarket TBC like a Tekonsha.

All the Trailer functions are isolated through the bank of Relays you see at the top of the Fuse Box Pix. This is nice. Truck Electronics are thus unaffected by Trailer 'peculiarities', if there are any...

I took these Pix, and scanned in the Ford Documentation/Schematic, intending to do a write-up here. However, there's already good Installation Vids on You Tube, as well as a prior 'Sticky' write-up here.

eBay ~ Ford ITBC

----
Attached Thumbnails No brake controller - towing package-harness-connector-capture-detail.jpg   No brake controller - towing package-fuse-box-parts-install.jpg  
Attached Images  
eng45ine (09-22-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Originally Posted by Nautique
I have the regular tow package and have the factory brake controller. So did my last tuck set up the same say. I think you only need the regular tow package.

Yes, the ITBC is not part of the regular tow pkg, but is available as a separate factory option when you order the regular tow pkg. It's also available as a factory option when you order a Lariat or better trim level where the regular tow pkg is standard. The ITBC is included as part of the max tow pkg, so no need to order it as a separate option if you order max tow.

On my Lariat, the regular trailer tow pkg was standard, but I had to order the ITBC as a separate option.

Last edited by smokeywren; 09-21-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Sirwriter (09-23-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No brake controller - towing package