Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Towing Questions

Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Newbie Towing Questions

Hi guys I have been filtering thru this threads for a good while and while I think I have learned a lot I still feel as though I know nothing...lol So if you gents (or ladies) wouldn't mind the help this is what I am asking... First this is my set up 2012 FX2 Super-crew Eco_Boost dealer installed trailer break and 3.55 gears 145 " WB, 7100 GVWR Package, trailer sway control. I want a toy hauler to haul my and the wife's Harley's (750lbs each). I am primarily looking at a TT set up but would like to entertain the 5th Wheeler. So if you knowledgeable peeps would be kind enough to break it down barney style on tongue weights / hitch weights/ limits for my truck I would be grateful. Basically I am asking whats my limits for the types of trailers I looking for. for instance hey you can get a 5th wheeler toy hauler that has hitch weight of xxxxlbs and a gross weight of xxxxlbs will need the --insert style/brand-- 5th wheel hitch or you can get a TT that has a tongue weight of xxxlbs and a gross weight of xxxxlbs. Hope this isnt asking too much but Im going cross eyed.....lol

Last edited by Eco_Punisher; 04-01-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I think most will advise that with a 7100 lb GVWR for the truck you do not have the payload capacity for a 5er. 5er's need to transfer 15 to 25% of the trailer weight to the pin. Travel Trailers (TTs) only want 10 to 15% of the trailer weight transfered to the ball. So 7000lbs of trailer with 5er would be a minimum of 1050 lbs tranfered to the truck, w/ a TT minimum would be 700lbs. Before you can look at buying anything you need to know your trucks actual weight (or close to it). So take that 7100GVWR and subtract 5500lbs for the base wieght of the truck, subtract the weighth of any add-ons, cap, tonnue, etc, along with any gear you carry or plan to carry in the truck, and finally your body weight and that of everyone riding in the truck. This will give you your remaining payload. Example: 7100GVWR - 5500(truck) - 300(cap) - 150(misc gear) - 180(driver) - 110(wife) - 160(2 kids & dog) = 700lbs remaining payload. Now you can determine a range in which to purchase by dividing the remaining payload by 10% for a high # and 15% for a low # (average TT tongue is about 12%) which would give you a max weight 7200lbs and a low end of 4600lbs (12% would be 5800lbs). I would use the max number of 7200lbs as the GVWR for the trailer, not the dry weight number, particularly when your looking at carrying 1500lbs worth of bikes. FYI a trailer shipping weight is basically it dryweight, to get an estimate of it GVWR and the ship weight and carrying capacity. WIth your limited the limited payload and estimated GVWR your options on TT toy haulers will be limited to under 25ft most likely 20 feet +/-2. Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
Eco_Punisher (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 04:29 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Am certainly not even close to knowing much about toy haulers but think putting 1500# of bikes in the back will also force you to fill forward tanks to keep pin wight in the desired range. Just a thought since it seems that you'll be looking at the lighter toyhaulers.
The following users liked this post:
Eco_Punisher (04-02-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie Towing Questions