Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here to the forum. Brake controller 2010 STX

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here to the forum. Brake controller 2010 STX

Hello all, Just bought a Toy hauler trailer, Grey Wolf 22RR. Have a 2010 STX with factory 4 prong plug. Is the truck set up for plug and play to add a brake controller or do I have to wire it? Also would greatly appreciate any advice on a controller to buy. Thank you..
Old 02-05-2017, 10:58 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

do u have the 7 pin down there as well? is it th 4.6 or the 5.4? also what the yellow door jamb sticker say? ( total payload limit)
Old 02-08-2017, 04:03 PM
F150 Forum

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Since your truck came with a 4-Way flat trailer connector, installing a brake controller will involve using a custom brake controller wiring adapter and making some wiring connections yourself.

This article talks about installing the brake controller on your vehicle and includes some helpful installation videos: http://www.etrailer.com/expert-20.html
Old 02-08-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by etrailerTeam
Since your truck came with a 4-Way flat trailer connector, installing a brake controller will involve using a custom brake controller wiring adapter and making some wiring connections yourself.

This article talks about installing the brake controller on your vehicle and includes some helpful installation videos: http://www.etrailer.com/expert-20.html
Incorrect.

A thread like this comes up every now and then.

On my truck it came with only a 4 pin connector and no hitch. Obviously no tow package either.

I installed the TBC and the Ford 4/7 plug that connects above the spare tire (the flat 4 pin was connected here, remove that). I went with the Ford 4/7 plug to try to maintain as much OEM as I could to insure compatibility.

Dealer flash for the TBC to work and I'm all good.

Here's what you need to do.

First you will need to see if you have the connector for the TBC behind the cubby hole. Some have found it plugged into the back of the cubby and some, such as myself, found it tapped somewhere around the steering column.

If you have that the move on to step 2.

You need to drop your spare and do some searching. The Ford 4/7 plug has an electrical connection that plugs in above the spare tire location. Now from a few months of research I did when I was where you're at there can be either 3 or 6 wires leading in to the harness that comes from the front of the truck (6 or 3 only because the ground comes from the 4/7 plug and attached to the frame before the harness connection).

In my findings, if your truck came from the factory with only the flat 4 pin plug for bumper pulling then the harness from the front of the truck only needs 3 wires.

This is the fun part......

For whatever reason some trucks have the 6 wire harness from the front to over the spare tire location. There is no way to find this out with VIN # or model # or anything along that line. There is no rule to say what your truck was to come with (ie. luck of the draw). The only way to find out is drop your spare, find the connector and count how many wires lead in to the "truck" end of that connector.

There really is no pattern as to which trucks have the ability to install the Ford TBC. Seen bare bones trim levels that have the wiring and seen top of the line without.

It does seem the only pattern I found was an XLT or up has about a 90% chance of having the option but still is a crap shoot.

Good luck

Last edited by EventHorizon; 02-08-2017 at 04:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
smithmx47 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Info Event Horizon. Thank you..