Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New truck time... opinions

Old 02-19-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New truck time... opinions

Start of by saying, I'm not here to run down Ford or jump ship because I love my f150. My warranty is almost up and I'm looking at new trucks.

I posted in the tow haul section as I'm looking for people who have experiences towing with other brands/ models of trucks. Im probably like a lot of guys out there and have to choose a truck that can be a daily driver, a family vehicle, and a tow rig. I have a smallish travel trailer that come in around 5000 lbs. my 5.0 with 3.55 pulls it fairly well, but I would like to have a little more suspension. I.e. A 3/4 ton. My indecision comes in here. If I stay with a half ton I'm interested in a new 3.5 and 10 speed. From my reading it should tow my trailer with ease. Problem is, it will probably be about the same in the suspension set up. I've also looked at a 2500hd Chevy with 6.0 and 4.10 gears. It was a very firm feel driving it around empty but not sure how the na enging with such a big truck will do towing. Also, the big gas truck will definitely not get as good of fuel economy as the half tons do.

will a gas 3/4 ton pull better than an ecoboost? what would be the best all around truck?
Old 02-19-2017, 10:37 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

If I were you, I would keep your truck...just the warranty going off shouldn't matter. Keep it until you get up to 250,000 miles and spend the savings on going camping with your camper. Cost of maintenance, new tires, and even major repairs will be cheaper than a new truck even without a warranty. Open an Excel Spreadsheet and do the math.

If you are absolutely convinced a new truck is needed, I would recommend first, special ordering a Lariat or XLT Heavy Duty Payload Package 3.5 EcoBoost as the best towing vehicle of any manufacturer for a 1/2 ton. The same truck with the 5.0 sould be a close second choice. This will give you great towing experience, room to upgrade camper in the future, and get around 17 - 19 mpg driving when not towing.

Second choice would be a Super Duty with the gas 6.2 V-8 and stay with a Lariat or lower trim level. (Not, the diesel...the diesel engine option costs more, and gets your payload down below what the Heavy Duty Payload Package F150 would have. If you insist on diesel, then the F350 is in order). While with this truck you could upgrade to a 30' plus camper or a fifth-wheel camper in the future, your daily-driving mileage would likely be in the 12-14 mpg range.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:18 AM

Thanks, i should have mentioned my last truck was a 14 2500 ram cummins. I have no interest in another diesel. The emissions system was a constant problem in the few short months I owned it, and the maintenance cost was too high for what is ,most of the time, a daily driver.

I still wonder from people that have had both, will the gas 3/4 PULL like the eco?
I know the suspension will be better suited for towing just not sure about the power portion.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mg05
I still wonder from people that have had both, will the gas 3/4 PULL like the eco?
IMO, nobody's normally aspirated 6+ liter V8's will pull as well as an Eco. If you need extra payload, get the HDPP.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Velosprout
If I were you, I would keep your truck...just the warranty going off shouldn't matter. Keep it until you get up to 250,000 miles and spend the savings on going camping with your camper. Cost of maintenance, new tires, and even major repairs will be cheaper than a new truck even without a warranty. Open an Excel Spreadsheet and do the math.

If you are absolutely convinced a new truck is needed, I would recommend first, special ordering a Lariat or XLT Heavy Duty Payload Package 3.5 EcoBoost as the best towing vehicle of any manufacturer for a 1/2 ton. The same truck with the 5.0 sould be a close second choice. This will give you great towing experience, room to upgrade camper in the future, and get around 17 - 19 mpg driving when not towing.

Second choice would be a Super Duty with the gas 6.2 V-8 and stay with a Lariat or lower trim level. (Not, the diesel...the diesel engine option costs more, and gets your payload down below what the Heavy Duty Payload Package F150 would have. If you insist on diesel, then the F350 is in order). While with this truck you could upgrade to a 30' plus camper or a fifth-wheel camper in the future, your daily-driving mileage would likely be in the 12-14 mpg range.
What he said... The 17 f250's are very nice though. But a 5k trailer doesn't really need it(I was in the same boat). F150 HD won out for me. The only downside of the EB I've run into so far is the intercooler limits options for a winch, but having the kids get excited about 'turbo' outweighs that. The look on their face when they saw it actually had a 'turbo' gauge and I wasn't making it up was priceless.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:06 PM

Is the 7050 gvwr the hdpp? Saw it on the window sticker of a truck I was looking at.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Mg05
Is the 7050 gvwr the hdpp? Saw it on the window sticker of a truck I was looking at.
Nope.

My 2016 max tow is 7050.

HDPP is 7,600 pounds for the XL trim and 7,850 pounds for the XLT and Lariat trim models.

Hdpp's are a fairly rare beast. In my experience, it's unusual to find one sitting on a dealer lot.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

They are becoming more and more common on lots but if you want HDPP you are best to order the truck yourself
Old 02-20-2017, 04:27 PM

What exactly does the window sticker say on a hdpp truck... I would have to find one on a lot. I'm too impatient to wait and order one
Old 02-20-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

It will have language that states "Heavy Duty Payload Package" on the options under the optional equipment on the left-hand side. Don't confuse this with the 2.7 Ecoboost Heavy Duty Payload Package. Some dealers will advertise HDPP trucks on their website when in fact they are not. I searched nationwide for months before finding mine. Have your dealership do a search, or order one. You are likely to check out twenty dealerships and not find a single one, or even any sales people who have ever heard about them. I suggest getting the dealer's sales manager involved early, and perhaps deal with a dealership that also owns a fleet sales division.

I had to drive 4 1/2 hours one way to buy mine.

Last edited by Velosprout; 02-20-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Search this Thread