Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New at Towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New at Towing

Hi Folks, I'm a newcomer and i'm learning more about my truck by just reading some of the treads.
I have a 2012 F150 4x4 lariat screw EB 3.31 ratio regular axle. We found Travel Trailer that meets our needs> UVW of 6880, and a GAWR of 8300lbs.
overall length 32'2", retiring soon and we plan to travel out west , the trailer will not be over 7500lbs. while being towed. am I within the safe limit of the TV and the TT?
Any Opinion, suggestion or comments is much appreciated.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

With these trucks, it's usually not "tow capacity" that limits what you can tow, but the truck's available "payload".

The tongue weight of a 7500# travel trailer should be greater than 900# (12%). Does your truck have the payload to handle that and everything else in the truck (you, your wife, dogs, gear)?

Look on the door jamb for a yellow sticker for the payload available. Remember that anything you added after the truck left the factory is not included. So, in my case, the Leer cap reduced my payload by 200# or so. Spray in bed liners add a lot of weight too.

The safest way to determine what tongue weight your truck can handle is to load the truck up without the trailer, just all the people and gear you intend to travel with and weigh it. Subtract that from the GVWR (also on the door jamb), and you'll have the available payload.

If your trailer's tongue weight exceeds the truck's available payload, you'll be overloaded. It's up to you to decide whether that's a problem or not.

We too are looking at a trailer that loaded would be about 7500#. We travel heavy so I figure the tongue weight will be close to 1000#. But my truck has a 2050# payload, so even with the Leer cap & kayaks on top, I'm sure we'll be under.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:26 PM

Thank you for your comments, it is enlightening me more of what's involve and what to look for when it comes to towing. what i forgot to mention is the tongue weight of the TT as publish on the mfg. brochure is 650#. and the trucks hitch weight is 800#.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by sumalmon69
Thank you for your comments, it is enlightening me more of what's involve and what to look for when it comes to towing. what i forgot to mention is the tongue weight of the TT as publish on the mfg. brochure is 650#. and the trucks hitch weight is 800#.
Published tongue weights are for a "dry", unloaded trailer. Propane and batteries, all that stuff in the trailer's "pass-thru", and clothing (if a front-end bedroom) or food/beverages (if a front-end kitchen) will all add to it. A min 12% of the loaded trailer on the tongue is what is generally considered safe for a travel trailer. With some trailers you have to move stuff around to get up to that.

My current trailer is weird. Initially it came with 16% on the tongue, unloaded. Great for stability but hard on the truck. I since have moved all the heavy stuff behind the trailer axles, and added a bicycle rack and two bikes, all to get the tongue weight down to 500#, the max Ford wants on my hitch without a WDH. With a 4000# loaded trailer, that puts me just over 12%.

When you say "the trucks hitchweight is 800#", do you mean the remaining payload available for the trailer's tongue weight, after subtracting all gear and personnel in the truck? If so, that would be pretty typical for F150 4x4 SCrew. And if you apply the 12% rule backwards, (800/0.12) works out to be a 6667# loaded trailer. Less than the 7500# you want.

There's no doubt the truck can tow a 7500# trailer. The Ecoboost has lots of low end torque. But I suspect that either the truck will be overloaded or your tongue weight will end up below the recommended 12%.
The following users liked this post:
sumalmon69 (10-11-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 08:59 AM

I weighed my truck with a full tank of gas,me and my wife in it. 2880 kg. (6350lbs) the trucks GVWR is 7200bs, 850lbs of pay load available.
the GCWR is 14000lbs, with a safety margin of 20% the max. tr. weight i should be towing is 5500lbs. and tongue weight of 650 (approx.). am i being realistic, too cautious or just paranoid?

Also, the max. cargo load (sticker on trucks door) is 1241, cargo +the trailer tongue weight. Is this what the tires are rated for?

(BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY) thanks for your informative input..
Old 10-12-2013, 09:18 AM

I weighed my truck with a full tank of gas,me and my wife in it. 2880 kg. (6350lbs) the trucks GVWR is 7200bs, 850lbs of pay load available.
the GCWR is 14000lbs, with a safety margin of 20% the max. tr. weight i should be towing is 5500lbs. and tongue weight of 650 (approx.). am i being realistic, too cautious or just paranoid?

Also, the max. cargo load (sticker on trucks door) is 1241, cargo +the trailer tongue weight. Is this what the tires are rated for?

(BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY) thanks for your informative input..
The factory tires should easily carry the full 7200# GVWR. If they are P-rated (Passenger car) tires, they might be too squirmy under load for my taste, but they'll carry it. I switched my tires to LT-rated (Light Truck) tires to get a stiffer ride.

As for
am i being realistic, too cautious or just paranoid?
people will disagree on that. Some figure the factory ratings are way too conservative, and have no problems exceeding them. The Ecoboost is certainly strong enough to pull some very heavy trailers. Others prefer to stay 20% under the limit and there's some out there who won't tow anything without an F350 diesel. It's really up to you.

FWIW I try to stay just at or under Ford's limits.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:07 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

My only comment would be the gearing that the truck came with. Have you had a chance to tow it yet? I don't believe you'll be impressed with it. That gearing is great if you are doing a lot of solo hiway driving but is a poor combo for towing a TT with that weight. Just my $0.02. If you are going to be semi full time RVing, I think you will be happier with a HD F150 or a diesel. Your lack of payload has already been addressed…
Old 10-12-2013, 10:30 AM

when I bought the truck there was no plan on towing a TT, obviously the plan has changed.
Is there anything i can do to boost my weight capacity without changing to expensive HD gearing? (air bags, good WDH)? things that will not void my warranty?
Old 10-12-2013, 10:36 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

when I bought the truck there was no plan on towing a TT, obviously the plan has changed.
Is there anything i can do to boost my weight capacity without changing to expensive HD gearing? (air bags, good WDH)? things that will not void my warranty?
I would look to local reputable wreckers and try to find replacement gears.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:07 PM

An F150 with the HD payload option adds a heavier 7 lug axle and wheels, along with stiffer suspension and LT tires. And it has the payload you want.

You can improve the suspension after-market, but you can't change Ford's weight ratings. And like Norotso says, you can change the gearing, but AFAIK you can't change the axle and wheels, or the rear GAWR. Maybe if you found a HD payload axle at the wreckers? Not sure ... you'll need front end changes too so all wheels are 7 lug.

IMHO an improved suspension definitely gives you a better ride under load even when your weights are all under Ford's limits. I've added stiffer shocks, RAS (Roadmaster Active Suspension) and LT tires.

Last edited by brulaz; 10-12-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply: New at Towing