Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires - white knuckles

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default New tires - white knuckles

I tow a 30 TT that I've had for a year and have pulled about 1000 miles on the stock Michelin P265/60/18 tires. I use a WDH and single sway bar. It towed pretty good on the Michelins, but I always felt that a 10 ply tire would help.

I put on a set of Cooper ST Maxx LT285/65/18 tires because I need something on the dirt road that leads to our property on the Alabama river. Towed the TT up to the river today and when the first semi passed me I went in to the worst sway I've ever experienced. I put some more tension on the sway bar and it helped, but it never felt as stable as it did on the Michelins.

The Coopers are rated for 80 psi - I had them inflated to 60-65. I set the WDH chains as I allways have. I realize the Coopers raised the truck an inch or so, but wouldn't think that would be enough to throw off the WDH.

Help?

Thanks...Tom
Old 02-21-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

I would have been much closer to the max pressure on those tires. With a max of 80 and setting them at 60 with a 30' TT I would think you were under pressure.
Also you need to reset your hitch with the taller tires.
The following users liked this post:
strorg (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

I'd be extremely surprised if the sway situation was related to your truck tires.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:53 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

New tires will increase sway ,also 24' and larger trailers require 2 sway bars per the hitch manufactures . when the tires wear down some of the sway will be reduced.I drove large trucks for a long time and ran mud tires on the rear,for about 1-2k miles it was squirrely
strorg (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 07:03 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

You don't say how the trailer tire pressure was.
I would expect that more pressure in the trailer tires and or the truck tires will help along with recalibration of the WDH.
My boat trailer had towed just fine. New tires made it want to sway - had to raise tire pressure to maximum.
strorg (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I just had the opposite experience. My new '16 came with p metric. I hauled a rzr on a 12' trailer, a load of cows to market and pulled my fiver one time. I was constantly having to correct my steering and the fiver swayed all of the time. Got the new Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure LT tires put on and all of my problems were gone instantly. Ride is a little rougher but when not towing I will lower the tire pressure back down from the 50 psi max. I agree with acadianbob- the tires are not the problem
Old 02-22-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by strorg
I tow a 30 TT that I've had for a year and have pulled about 1000 miles on the stock Michelin P265/60/18 tires. I use a WDH and single sway bar. It towed pretty good on the Michelins, but I always felt that a 10 ply tire would help.

I put on a set of Cooper ST Maxx LT285/65/18 tires because I need something on the dirt road that leads to our property on the Alabama river. Towed the TT up to the river today and when the first semi passed me I went in to the worst sway I've ever experienced. I put some more tension on the sway bar and it helped, but it never felt as stable as it did on the Michelins.

The Coopers are rated for 80 psi - I had them inflated to 60-65. I set the WDH chains as I allways have. I realize the Coopers raised the truck an inch or so, but wouldn't think that would be enough to throw off the WDH.

Help?

Thanks...Tom
That is one issue that comes in out in the reviews for the ST MAXX, great looking tire, but is a issue with the ST MAXX. Check out the reviews on Tread Depot and Google as well.

Last edited by BAMA334; 02-22-2016 at 09:13 AM.
strorg (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
I would have been much closer to the max pressure on those tires. With a max of 80 and setting them at 60 with a 30' TT I would think you were under pressure.
Also you need to reset your hitch with the taller tires.
A Load Range E tire inflated to 50-55psi has more carrying capacity than the factory tires inflated to the pressure noted on the door sticker (which inflates them enough to be rated to carry more than the axle is rated to carry).

So, if you think he was underinflated, that means he would also have been over weight.

If the tires were pretty much brand new, I could see that as a contributing factor. First few hundred miles with new tires always feels a little different...

And yeah, the hitch needs to be adjusted. Ideally, dropping the head an inch should work but the head tilt may need to be adjusted as well...
strorg (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
You don't say how the trailer tire pressure was.
I would expect that more pressure in the trailer tires and or the truck tires will help along with recalibration of the WDH.
My boat trailer had towed just fine. New tires made it want to sway - had to raise tire pressure to maximum.
Thanks - Trailer tires checked and adjusted to recommended 50 psig before the trip.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by BAMA334
That is one issue that comes in out in the reviews for the ST MAXX, great looking tire, but is a issue with the ST MAXX. Check out the reviews on Tread Depot and Google as well.

Quick Reply: New tires - white knuckles