Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Slide in bed camper/ suspension advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 02:49 PM
Built Ford Tough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Slide in bed camper/ suspension advice.

Hi, I am looking for some advise on my situation, I just got a slide in bed truck camper, weight #1500. so i am almost near my max 16xx payload, I have a 2013 f150 5.0 4x4 6.5 bed , with a 2'' front level kit. otherwise stock. Obviously with that camper in there im sitting almost to my bump stops, and hitting them while driving. Also the kicker is i plan on pulling my boat #3000, or quad trailer #2500, not much tongue weight on either but will matter. So my question is to hopefully some of you who've had truck bed campers, whats the best product to beef up my suspension, and correct the sag. the timberns, add a leaf, helper springs, air bags. I'll only be using the camper half a dozen to a dozen times a year, so i would like to maintain as much of the factory ride as i can. But i want it to be safe and not break anything on my truck. Thanks guys.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Airbags are nice for the adjustability factor, and you can let them down (recommended 5 psi minimum) when empty and have factory ride quality. Your truck would take a Ride Rite (Firestone) kit#2525.

Last edited by PerryB; 11-20-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

With a camper the center of gravity raises making the vehicle want to rock and roll in turns and or windy drives.
You may want to look into one of these along with whatever you install to lit the rear end:
https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-7705-...+bar+ford+f150
Old 11-20-2016, 05:14 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
With a camper the center of gravity raises making the vehicle want to rock and roll in turns and or windy drives.
You may want to look into one of these along with whatever you install to lit the rear end:
https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-7705-...+bar+ford+f150
Good idea. ^^
Old 11-20-2016, 08:26 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by dono16
I just got a slide in bed truck camper, weight #1500. so i am almost near my max 16xx payload...

You are going to be overloaded with a truck camper on your F-150. Even F-250s are not intended to haul a slide-in truck camper.

Visit a CAT scale early in your first camping trip, so see how much overloaded you are. Add the weight on the front and rear axles and compare to the GVWR of the F-150

You cannot increase the GVWR or payload capacity of your F-150, but you can mask the symptoms of being overloaded. Add both the rear anti-sway bar and the air bags in the rear suspension that others mentioned. Then minimize the weight you haul in the truck and camper. Don't haul any fresh water, drinks, campfire wood, charcoal grill or canned fool - wait until you get to the campground to add those items. Haul only light-weight plastic dishes and cups and cutlery.

Then begin planning to trade your pickup for a much heavier-duty pickup that can haul a heavy slide-in camper without being overloaded.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:58 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

my gran pa hauled one of these for years with out issue:

http://www.fourwh.com/product/hawk-s...-regular-size/

* p rated toyo's nad fire stone ride rites*
Old 11-20-2016, 11:49 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

You may also get some improvement in stability by removing the level. The camper has raised your center of gravity already. The level even more.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTE448
my gran pa hauled one of these for years with out issue:

http://www.fourwh.com/product/hawk-s...-regular-size/

* p rated toyo's nad fire stone ride rites*

Yeah, the 4Wheel pop-up tent campers can be hauled by a heavy-duty half-ton pickup if you don't haul much other weight in the truck. That one weighs 895 dry, which is about 1200 wet and very lightly loaded. You'll probably still need air bags to prevent the headlights from aiming at the stars, and you'll probably still exceed the payload capacity of most half-ton pickups, but the minimal overloading can be handled by good drivers.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Built Ford Tough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well they do actually make campers for 1/2tons, as you can see, mine is actually 1030lbs dry,, my 1500# is my guess adding coolers, equipment supplies, etc. Sorry i did not explain that. In further posts i will take the time to weight all supplies food drinks tools etc. and document to the #. "Geeezzz come on guy............"". And then buy a 1 Ton for my few camping trips.....

So thanks for the reply's to my actual question.

was just hoping to hear from people who actually have had these campers in a 1/2 ton.

I never thought of the rear anti sway, I think i will defiantly install one think that's a great idea.. I have had Firestone airbags once before, leaked out after 2 years maybe, seemed to really stiffen my ride even aired down to 5psi. , So im leery of them.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:21 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

No airbags for you - you may want something similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58643-...er+rear+shocks
They should have only minimal stiffening effect when the truck is unloaded.
These claim to be adjustable but I do not see where. Possibly some other brand may be better.
A set of these (or similar) and a rear anti-sway bar, you should be set to cruise.