Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member tow questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New member tow questions

I am about to pull the trigger for an F150 Eco-boost, crew cab, short box 4 x 4 this spring.
I am new to the pickup truck world, so a little background might help set up my questions.
I have a 2003 GMC Envoy with a tow capacity of 5700lbs. I have used this to successfully tow a Coleman Bayside pop-up camper in the Colorado high country. However, it does really have to go all out at altitude and I think is a bit over taxed as is.
I have just purchased a new Trailmanor 2922KD folding trailer which is about 900lbs heavier than the Coleman with a much heavier tongue weight (435lbs vs 160lbs).
I suspect the trailer loaded will be 4000 to 5000 lbs and the tongue weight could be over 500lbs, but those would be max. Trailer empty is about 3000 lbs with about 1350lbs additional to be added.
So with this in mind I have these questions:
I would order the truck with the max tow package (with the 3.73 rear end). This seems to give me the best chance to not have issues towing in the high country. I had wanted the off road package, but that limits the rear end to 3.55, and less robust shocks (maybe?, not sure reading forum). I also considered the heavy duty package, but my understanding is that is only available on the long box, which is darn near too long for my garage.
I guess I am really asking for reasons to pick either the off road package or heavy duty package instead of max tow.
I would appreciate folks experiences with these options and rationale for their choices.
I am somewhat concerned about a heavy tongue weight and what that might do for ride and handling.
Thanks in advance for your insights and wading through this long post
Mark
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

You will do fine with the MaxTow option and probably a good WDH.

I have a Trailmanor (upright, not the folding version), and they do tend to be heavy in the hitch. But that's good to control sway, and with your trailer's folded position you will not need any sway control. Just the weight distribution.

And the WDH should actually improve the ride by putting more weight back on the front wheels. It will remove that "floating sensation".

My only problem with the MAxTow option is that it doesn't include the HD Payload's stiffer suspension and LT tires. But that can be changed aftermarket, as I have done.

EDIT: and the Ecoboost's turbos should be just what you need in the high country. Good choice.

Last edited by brulaz; 02-14-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

I have both, offroad and max-tow pkgs. Not sure for the '13 MY but my '12 has the 3.73. It tows great in the high country. I live at 6500ft, work at 7000ft, have some land at 8500ft, and often go to 10,000ft+. Being turbo'd is one of the reasons I bought this truck. You could really feel a difference in elevation in my silverado. I would've bought the HD suspension pkg but, 1. couldn't find any, 2. it's not available with the locking rear diff.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

My 2k11 was screw,sb,4x4 w/ O-R pkg, and maxtow, with e-lock 3.73s.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM

I pulled my TT and my V-nose all over the country, into the 8000' elevations, no problems to speak of.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by brulaz
My only problem with the MAxTow option is that it doesn't include the HD Payload's stiffer suspension and LT tires.
Max Tow DOES come with a slightly higher payload; another 350 pounds on my FX4 for a total of 2,000. Also, LT tires are available as a factory option; load range C; plenty of tire and a definite improvement for towing over the P metric. Should be plenty for your Trail Manor.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Get the Max tow pkg, a good WDHitch(Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam)and hit the road! You will not have any issues towing in the mountains especially with only a 4-5000lb trailer. The truck won't even break a sweat...
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
Max Tow DOES come with a slightly higher payload; another 350 pounds on my FX4 for a total of 2,000. Also, LT tires are available as a factory option; load range C; plenty of tire and a definite improvement for towing over the P metric. Should be plenty for your Trail Manor.
Yes, MaxTow increases payload and rear GAWR some, but, IMHO, the MaxTow suspension is way too soft for my 2050# payload. The HD Payload option adds the heavier shocks and springs.

But I'm coming from a much stiffer truck, so it may just be what you're used to. My old Tacoma 4x4 was much stiffer (Off-Roaders love it) and needed no suspension mods to haul my trailer. But it's payload was 1000# less than my F150.

As for tires, I prefer the Michelin LTX MS/2 LT245/75R17-E to whatever Ford provides. I'll never pump them up to their max pressures and load capacity though; about 48psi is enough to match the weight range of my original P rated tires and the GVWR of my truck. And now I've got a 10-ply rated light truck tire that should take on any pot hole it drops into, or most any road debris it hits, even with a full load. Load range C? Better than P-rated, but no thank you.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

You've already said you don't want the longer bed for the HD Payload because it won't fit in your garage or mine. Get MaxTow and later you can get the HD Payload shocks to limit rebound if you feel the need. And if you feel the springs are too soft, just add the SuperSprings. As for the LT Load Range E tires, just remember they are much heavier and will impact your fuel mileage. I will run my P rated tires at 44 lbs while towing until they wear out and replace with the Continental CrossContact LX20 as they are rated for 155 lbs more load (2756) than the regular LT tires (2601), but don't sacrifice fuel mileage to do it.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by brulaz

Yes, MaxTow increases payload and rear GAWR some, but, IMHO, the MaxTow suspension is way too soft for my 2050# payload. The HD Payload option adds the heavier shocks and springs.

But I'm coming from a much stiffer truck, so it may just be what you're used to. My old Tacoma 4x4 was much stiffer (Off-Roaders love it) and needed no suspension mods to haul my trailer. But it's payload was 1000# less than my F150.

As for tires, I prefer the Michelin LTX MS/2 LT245/75R17-E to whatever Ford provides. I'll never pump them up to their max pressures and load capacity though; about 48psi is enough to match the weight range of my original P rated tires and the GVWR of my truck. And now I've got a 10-ply rated light truck tire that should take on any pot hole it drops into, or most any road debris it hits, even with a full load. Load range C? Better than P-rated, but no thank you.
Funny you mention the michs, that's what my superduky came with. SUPERB tire in all aspects!

Quick Reply: New member tow questions