Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help before a TT purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Default Need some help before a TT purchase

I've done a pile of searching, but I can't find a decently solid answer. We are planning on our first TT purchase. I am planning to keep it in that 6-7000lbs range wet- so an expandable or something along those lines. Here's where I get hung up a bit...

2010 F150 5.4 Tow package, 3.55. It's a supercrew- weighed out the payload and I have ample room for the tongue weight provided I keep my wet weight in the above mentioned range. My biggest concern is how those 3.55's will act with that load. The 5.4 is a great grunter, but I haven't tested it with that much frontal area- usually just flat decks, car haulers etc.

Any input to set my mind at ease? If I have to regear, I may skip the hybrid and get a little pop up for now.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing

It sounds like you'll be ok. No matter how your truck is set up, it will react differently when that trailer is connected. I tow a 30' TT with my '12 EB Platinum with ease. I have 3.31 gears. Just remember you don't have to travel in top gear at 65 mph when towing. Weight/payload wise it seems as if you've done your homework.
Hope this helps,
Gary
The following 2 users liked this post by tri5ford:
golfr67 (08-28-2013), smurfs_of_war (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 10:02 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

You're right to be concerned about frontal area. You may have more trouble with the wind in Saskatchewan than the weight of the trailer.

We just went to the west coast and are now returning to Ontario. Our worst mileage on the whole trip was against the prairie winds. Our Ecoboost with 3.73 spent a lot of time in 5th crossing against a strong prairie headwind. But that was just one day.

Our previous truck was a Tacoma V6 with 5 spd (no tow/haul) and 3.73. With the same trailer, we were down in 3rd part of the time crossing Manitoba against headwinds. The truck could do it, but it was noisy and unpleasant - One of the reasons we got the Eco with the 6spd tow/haul.

Can't say how the 5.4 with 3.55 would handle it. Does the 2010 have a 6 speed with tow/haul? If so, it should just be able to find a lower gear without reving up too high. That's the tranny's job.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Flatlander

Originally Posted by brulaz
You're right to be concerned about frontal area. You may have more trouble with the wind in Saskatchewan than the weight of the trailer.

We just went to the west coast and are now returning to Ontario. Our worst mileage on the whole trip was against the prairie winds. Our Ecoboost with 3.73 spent a lot of time in 5th crossing against a strong prairie headwind. But that was just one day.

Our previous truck was a Tacoma V6 with 5 spd (no tow/haul) and 3.73. With the same trailer, we were down in 3rd part of the time crossing Manitoba against headwinds. The truck could do it, but it was noisy and unpleasant - One of the reasons we got the Eco with the 6spd tow/haul.

Can't say how the 5.4 with 3.55 would handle it. Does the 2010 have a 6 speed with tow/haul? If so, it should just be able to find a lower gear without reving up too high. That's the tranny's job.
Yeah it has the 6 speed tow haul. The wind was my primary concern.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Grandpa's big Blue Truck

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

We had a Dutchman 26' that we pulled with a 08 Expadition and it pulled it well there are many floor plan's available that your truck can pull to help more need to know how many are camping with you kids etc.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Flatlander

Originally Posted by russellsawatsky
We had a Dutchman 26' that we pulled with a 08 Expadition and it pulled it well there are many floor plan's available that your truck can pull to help more need to know how many are camping with you kids etc.
3 kids, me and the missus
Old 08-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't see a "horrendous" issue here Smurf . . . that frontal area is on almost all TTs and even worse, with 5th wheels and my boat sticks up there quite a ways too . . . . wind is a hazard wherever you go and those prairie winds can take you down a gear if they're blowing "in your face" (always seems like that, doesn't it? . . when do they blow the "other" way?) . . . just slow her down a bit and let the machine do the work for you . . . . it'll pay off in the long run
Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just how much does frontal area impact the tow? I am looking at two travel trailers that are the same tongue and shipped weight. They are the same length but one is 2 feet taller and 1 foot wider as it is a toy hauler.

At 5500 pounds I am thinking I am at the top of my regular tow package ecoboost so I am wondering how much more trouble that type of frontal area adds?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Grandpa's big Blue Truck

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Tent trailer and hybrid's would be easier to pull and less expensive also more like tenting but you should be able to go with up to a lightweight tt with bunkhouse with a good w d hitch and anti sway setup properly . We really like ours but it is probably a little heavy for your tv but thay make similar floor plans that your tv can handle, most manufacturer's and dealerships have very good websites
Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Flatlander

Originally Posted by russellsawatsky
Tent trailer and hybrid's would be easier to pull and less expensive also more like tenting but you should be able to go with up to a lightweight tt with bunkhouse with a good w d hitch and anti sway setup properly . We really like ours but it is probably a little heavy for your tv but thay make similar floor plans that your tv can handle, most manufacturer's and dealerships have very good websites
Absolutely! I have been browsing sites like a madman. I am pretty hung on the Aerolite. Nice looking packages, and the weights are well within reason to what we want. Pricey though.

Quick Reply: Need some help before a TT purchase