Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help wiring Air lift compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help wiring Air lift compressor

Newbie here not sure if this the right forum but here goes. I just installed a Air lift compressor with Firestone ride right air bags on my 2011 Eco. Problem I have is how do I find a keyed 12 volt power source? I mounted the air compressor up front behind my grill and I thought I could get keyed power off fuse box in engine compartment but everything is hot that I have checked. I stopped by my Ford dealer and asked them if they could install a fused lead for me and I got the why do you need that question so I think I'm back to trying to find a source on my own. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Tracey

P.S. I did look in fuse panel by passenger side but the fuse tap they sent wouldn't work with the micro fuses I have in panel.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MNSkins
Newbie here not sure if this the right forum but here goes. I just installed a Air lift compressor with Firestone ride right air bags on my 2011 Eco. Problem I have is how do I find a keyed 12 volt power source? I mounted the air compressor up front behind my grill and I thought I could get keyed power off fuse box in engine compartment but everything is hot that I have checked. I stopped by my Ford dealer and asked them if they could install a fused lead for me and I got the why do you need that question so I think I'm back to trying to find a source on my own. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Tracey

P.S. I did look in fuse panel by passenger side but the fuse tap they sent wouldn't work with the micro fuses I have in panel.
having a hard time replying to your post lol.

why not just run the system with its own isolated circuit? why do you need the bags hooked to a switched 12v wire?

you could use the ACC wire at the ignition switch to drive a relay to power what you need powered but you are trying to hook this up to its own switch it take it? the relay takes a low current input and triggers a high current circuit.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:17 AM

I need it wired in to a keyed switch cause the compressor will keep the air bags inflated to whatever you have the pressure set at if it falls and the gauge also has a light. Just thought it would be nice to have it off when key is off without mounting separate switch.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

More than likely you are going to have to find a fuse on the inside panel to hook it to. Everything under the hood is directly fed off the battery then to the inner fuse panel. Are you hooking it up to a relay? Definitely a must! I wouldn't hook the compressor straight to anything in the inner fuse panel and risk shorting out something else if or when the compressor fails for some reason. Look for one of the accessory fuses in that panel. I can't remember which one off hand is "switched" and I don't have my book with me at the moment. Trying also posting this in the electrical section or stereo section. One of those gurus can probably tell you pretty easily which one it is.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

local parts store should have some mini fuse taps..and use a relay..

keyed wire would hook up to the fuse tap..and if your kit comes with a height valve setup, maybe put a kill switch in so if the truck is worked on and the rear suspension is aloud to drop and key on the compressor will start..
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Osborne

keyed wire would hook up to the fuse tap..and if your kit comes with a height valve setup, maybe put a kill switch in so if the truck is worked on and the rear suspension is aloud to drop and key on the compressor will start..
this.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Osborne

Just like that. Grab the key on trigger from inside. Run it through the firewall. Your main power should come off the battery, through a fuse. For the mini fuses inside I'd use this:
http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/Fi...FHM02FHA02.pdf
You won't be able to use the black plastic inside cover but only you will know it's gone.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 PM

Actually found a low profile mini fuse circuit tap online that I will be able to make work by optifuse. Thanks for the help guys. By the way the Firestone air ride works great,will never own a pickup without out them again.

Quick Reply: Need help wiring Air lift compressor