Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help choosing a truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing a truck

Hello all,

I have a delema I'm trying to sort out. I made a deal on a 2013 crew cab 5.0 4x4 3:73 rear end. By my research max tow is 9100lbs. Does not have a tow package. My problem is I have 2 ATV'S and a 23' TT that weighs about 5000 lbs . I'd like to one day be able to take both 4 wheelers camping. I have been looking at F250's all damn summer with the 6.2 but they have all been work trucks with 60,0000 don't want that and I really don't want to go over $250000...Is this enough truck, I REALLY like it but don't want to be pissed after I buy it. Will air bags enable me to stick 2 ATV on the back and can the 5.0 handle the TT and ATV? I don't want and eco don't trust them.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

What is the payload sticker inside your F150's driver's door say the max weight of all passengers and cargo is?
ATV's vary from a kid's 50cc and up; how heavy and big are your ATVs?
How far are you driving to camp? Would you consider making two trips?
Has anything been added to the 2013 or is it purely stock?
What do you anticipate the weight of yourself and all passengers to be?

Your limiting factor is going to be payload. In short, you probably can pull the travel trailer, or ATV's, but not both. Depending on other cargo and passengers, you may even be over payload with the trailer only. Air bags eliminate some symptoms of being overloaded, but do not increase payload.
Even some F250's might not have enough payload to accomplish what you want, especially diesels.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Velosprout
What is the payload sticker inside your F150's driver's door say the max weight of all passengers and cargo is?
ATV's vary from a kid's 50cc and up; how heavy and big are your ATVs?
How far are you driving to camp? Would you consider making two trips?
Has anything been added to the 2013 or is it purely stock?
What do you anticipate the weight of yourself and all passengers to be?

Your limiting factor is going to be payload. In short, you probably can pull the travel trailer, or ATV's, but not both. Depending on other cargo and passengers, you may even be over payload with the trailer only. Air bags eliminate some symptoms of being overloaded, but do not increase payload.
Even some F250's might not have enough payload to accomplish what you want, especially diesels.
Here is the sticker from the truck. Both ATV's are about 650lbs and of course the ATV rack (dont have one) I am guessing would be about 1000lbs. Generally driving to camp is 200 miles or less but I live in UT and I camp in the mountains. The truck is purely stock right now yes, there is me, wife and 2 kids so prbably 500lbs in the human dept.

So you're saying this would be difficult even with a F250 with a 6.2? My only option for this would be a F350 PS ?

I currently have a 1998 F150 with a 4.6, and put 1 atv in the bed and pull a TT but it's only about 3500lbs I dont actually have the TT I want I am just guessing it would be around 4-5k dry,when I upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails Need help choosing a truck-20160929_090557_resized.jpg  
Old 10-01-2016, 10:24 PM

1371 pounds is a low payload. (It is hardly more than what I had on a 2007 Sport Trac). Payload limit is the total weight of the driver, passengers, cargo in the bed, the weight of the weight-distributing hitch, any aftermarket accessories like bedliner, floor mats, etc., and the tongue weight of the trailer.

Lets say that family and driver weighs 500 pounds, weight distributing hitch weighs 80 pounds, and they have added a 40-pound bedrug. 1371 minus (500 plus 130 plus 80 plus 40) equals 621 pounds. (This assumes that there haven't been aftermarket leveling kit, oversize tires and wheels added, because their weight would have to be subtracted from payload as well.

Most trailer hitch weights are around 13% of the total trailer weight (this varies even based upon how the trailer is loaded for each trip.) The max trailer you could tow is 620 pounds payload divided by 13% so the max trailer would be around 4800 pounds and that is with the trailer only; without any ATVs or even any luggage, golf clubs, firewood, or anything at all in the truck bed.

A F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package, either in a 5.0 or EcoBoost 3.5 can get as much as around 2250 payload, but these trucks are extremely rare. They can still get around 19 to 21 mpg as daily drivers. F250 diesels may have a lower payload than that because the heavier weight of the drivetrain.
A F250 gas 6.2 will have much better payload, but your daily-driving mileage will probably be about 12.5 to 13 mpg. The more options the truck has, the lower the payload. (The aluminum 2017's may be better; but they don't require mpg ratings and their use hasn't demonstrated a real-world mileage yet).
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 10:27 AM

What is interesting here is it does indeed show 1370 on the sticker, however my GVWR is 7350 and by Fords brocure for the 2013 F150 it shows my payload at 1570, what gives what is correct? There is not even a 1370 listed anywhere for the 2013, very confused. Also what makes that rating higher, what does ford add that this truck does not have?
Old 10-02-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 1,284 Likes on 902 Posts

I think your truck will pull the weight. The problem you have is payload. By the time you factor in the tongue weight and passengers you're right at, or over what the suspension is rated for.

For comparison my 2014 Screw has the same 7350 GVW rating. Which means both of our trucks are rated to weigh no more than 7350 lbs including passengers and cargo.

But my payload is 1621 lbs, 250 lbs more. Basically that means that my truck left the factory 250 lbs lighter because of the options added. Not saying mine would be any better, just 250 lbs better.

I think that what you have is borderline and may work if you keep the weight in the truck down. There are F-150's that will do a little better, just pay attention to the payload rating.

Somewhere there is a thread titled "post your payload" where lots of folks have posted their trucks specs. It would be a good place to look at what others have.

Most F250's would easily handle what you need. Once again pay attention to payload, not just tow ratings.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:40 AM

Received 1,284 Likes on 902 Posts

We were typing at the same time. Take your truck to some scales and get it weighed. Subtract that number from 7350 and you have your true payload. When it left the factory it was 1371. But any added accessories done to your truck after it left the factory will mean less than 1371.

The difference is the options on the truck. Some seats weigh more, sunroof's, wheels, etc.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Darren Moore
What is interesting here is it does indeed show 1370 on the sticker, however my GVWR is 7350 and by Fords brocure for the 2013 F150 it shows my payload at 1570, what gives what is correct? There is not even a 1370 listed anywhere for the 2013, very confused. Also what makes that rating higher, what does ford add that this truck does not have?
The manufacturer's brochures and websites publish the maximum payload and towing capacity for a truck with no options. Every option, (two tone paint, moonroof, bucket seats, 18" wheels, running boards, etc.), each reduces payload by a amount. The 1370 reflects your truck as it left the factory with the ordered options. Also, the maximum towing capacity reflects what the truck can pull. For example, I could pull a lot more weight with a four-wheel wagon like a farm wagon. There is almost no weight of that wagon placed on the truck, other than the 40 pounds or so of the wagon tongue. When towing a camper or boat that doesn't rest by itself on four wheels, some of the trailer's weight is carried by the truck's hitch. That is why the payload becomes the first limiting factor on a pickup truck for a travel trailer instead of the gross combined maximum vehicle weight or the published maximum towing capacity.

Last edited by Velosprout; 10-02-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Velosprout
The manufacturer's brochures and websites publish the maximum payload and towing capacity for a truck with no options. Every option, (two tone paint, moonroof, bucket seats, 18" wheels, running boards, etc.), each reduces payload by a amount. The 1370 reflects your truck as it left the factory with the ordered options. Also, the maximum towing capacity reflects what the truck can pull. For example, I could pull a lot more weight with a four-wheel wagon like a farm wagon. There is almost no weight of that wagon placed on the truck, other than the 40 pounds or so of the wagon tongue. When towing a camper or boat that doesn't rest by itself on four wheels, some of the trailer's weight is carried by the truck's hitch. That is why the payload becomes the first limiting factor on a pickup truck for a travel trailer instead of the gross combined maximum vehicle weight or the published maximum towing capacity.
so essentially 1371 is the max payload of this truck, which still makes no sense to me this is a crew cab with the 6' bed and 3:73 gears, why have the lower gears if stupid thing cant handle any payload, just as well have 3:31 in it... So 1371 - 700(atv) -600 (TT tongue weight) - 500 (family) = 1800 I'm way over, and this truck will not work? I have not bought it yet, just really like it...

Are all crew cabs with the 6' bed going to have this same issue? I need a crew cab with the 6' bed so I can haul at least 1 ATV

Last edited by Darren Moore; 10-02-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Won't come close to working. Keep in mind - you have the bigger bed (weight), you have the Crew Cab (weight), you have 4x4 (weight), ...

I have that truck except a Super Cab and a 3.55 and I have 1,643. So your Crew Cab is one reason you're losing payload.

Quick Reply: Need help choosing a truck