Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on max tow package

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on max tow package

I am currently in the market for a 2013 fx4 SuperCrew EcoBoost. I plan on towing a 7500 pound boat (total weight w/ gas) about 10 times a year to the lake and back (150 miles one way). My question is is it crucial I get the max tow package or will I be fine with the standard tow package. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:05 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

If you can find one with the max tow then get it and if one has a 3.73 gearing diffinately. With the FX4 you will lose payload d/t all the extra features put on the truck. The only good thing is that a boat doesn't buck the wind like a trailer. Typically the FX4 have a payload in the 14-1500# range from my observation, honestly a 7500# load is a lot for a 150 series that isn't properly equipped....
The following users liked this post:
BIG Laing (02-20-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Norotso
If you can find one with the max tow then get it and if one has a 3.73 gearing diffinately. With the FX4 you will lose payload d/t all the extra features put on the truck. The only good thing is that a boat doesn't buck the wind like a trailer. Typically the FX4 have a payload in the 14-1500# range from my observation, honestly a 7500# load is a lot for a 150 series that isn't properly equipped....
Max Tow on pre-15 F150s does give you some extra payload. My FX4 with Luxury Package has a yellow payload sticker of 1,820.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by plexoer
I am currently in the market for a 2013 fx4 SuperCrew EcoBoost. I plan on towing a 7500 pound boat (total weight w/ gas) about 10 times a year to the lake and back (150 miles one way). My question is is it crucial I get the max tow package or will I be fine with the standard tow package.

Max tow in a 2013 includes the standard tow pkg (primarily tranny oil cooler, upgraded radiator, and receiver hitch with trailer wiring and plug), then adds tow mirrors, integrated trailer brake controller and 500 pounds additional payload capacity.

With FX4 trim, max tow requires 3.73 electronic-locking axle and the FX4 Luxury pkg 402a. So no use looking at the plain-Jane FX4 if you want to find one with max tow - fancy is required.

For that big a boat, I would insist on the max tow pkg. If you don't get one with max tow, then you must add tow mirrors and - if the trailer has electric brakes - a trailer brake controller.

The integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) was standard with the max tow pkg, optional with the regular tow pkg, and available as an accessory if you don't have it. The ITBC is a lot better than any aftermarket controller, so if your boat trailer has electric brakes, be sure you get it, one way or another. If your trailer has surge brakes, you don't need a brake controller.

You need that extra payload capacity if you don't want to exceed the payload capacity of the F-150, and assuming you properly load the trailer to have a minimum of 10% tongue weight.

Since your tongue weight is going to exceed 500 pounds, then you also require a weight-distributing (WD) hitch. If the boat has surge brakes, the only good WD hitch I know about that will work with surge brakes is the Equal-I-Zer. If your trailer has electric brakes, then other highly-rated WD hitches will work, including:
Reese Strait-Line with trunnion spring bars
Blue Ox
Old 02-19-2016, 11:51 PM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

I would be surprised of the boat has much if any more than 500lbs tounge weight. Most boats typically have 5 to 8 percent so 500 would be close the higher end of that spectrum. Standard tow should be fine, max will certainly not hurt anything. The extra tow mirrors would be a plus, but the standard will probably be ok.

Quick Reply: Need advice on max tow package