Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

must i use fords brake controller?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default must i use fords brake controller?

Hello--I have a brake controller which I removed from my old dead vehicle. The controller worked fine. Now i have a 2011 f150. Can I simply plug this controller into the adapter behind the dashboard? Must i use the one made by Ford? Do i need to have the dealer set anything up? Or am good to go? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

The short answer is no you can use any controller you want.

I don't think you can plug your after market controller directly into the Ford plug though. For starters it won't fit without an adapter I bet and second I think the wiring will be set up different. I hope someone else can give better information as I'm not sure how to do it.

That being said the OEM Ford controller will work so much better. I've only ever used 2 controllers. One on a GMC back in 2000 and the Ford one I got now. Absolutely no comparison between the 2. The one on the GMC I was always adjusting the gain as my speed changed and had to adjust it again if the weight of my trailer changed more then 200#. It was a cargo trailer and I was a delivery man so every load change I would fiddle with the dial to get it right, just in time for my next stop and do it all again up to 5 times a day. Ford controller was a 1 minute job to set in a parking lot, test it twice on a back road and forget about it.

My opinion is if you can afford a couple hundred bucks get the OEM Ford one.

Last edited by EventHorizon; 03-03-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:12 PM

Thank you. I have to confess my ignorance when it comes to brake controllers. I have a 3000# camper with brakes that I pulled with a Ford Explorer. I bought a brake controller from Pep Boys and plugged it into the adapter behind the glove box. When I pressed the brake pedal, it applied the brakes to the camper.

Can you explain the benefits of adjusting the gain on the controller? How does that affect the towing experience?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:57 PM

Gain means how strong the brakes come on when you hit the brakes.

Gain set too low you'll most likely not be using your trailer brakes much, or at all, and stopping is only provided by your vehicle. Gain set too high and a light touch on your brakes will lock the trailer tires.

On any brake controller there should be a dial or something that controls how much gain you have set and a slider that will activate your trailer brakes without touching your vehicle brakes. Set your gain to the maximum level that will not lock your trailer tires when fully activated by the slider.

When towing gain won't make any difference but having is set wrong while braking can make life interesting quickly.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:23 PM

The f150 information window says 'trailer connected or disconnected'. Is this for informational purposes only or is there somekind of enhanced towing experience?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

eventHorizon:

Are you saying that you don't use the brake in your tow vehicle to actuate the trailer brakes? OR, am I just mis understanding.?

All my controllers have had a slider or a twist **** to set the gain. The gain adjusts the pressure applied to the trailer brakes when I step on the tow vehicle brake pedal. It can be set so that the tow vehicle begiins to slow and then the trailer (it will feel like the trailer is pushing you). Or you can have the trailer slowing faster and it will feel like the trailer is resisting the pull of the tow vehicle. The idea is to balance all the brake so you stop with the tow vehicle in front and the trailer behind, and no skids. Once connected and ajusted you do not touch the controller to slow, stop, or start.

MY controllers also have an emergency button that I can press to lock up the trailer brakes in an emergency or during hook-up/disconnect

Is that what you are saying,?

Last edited by dcrabby; 03-03-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon Wisniewski
Hello--I have a brake controller which I removed from my old dead vehicle. The controller worked fine. Now i have a 2011 f150. Can I simply plug this controller into the adapter behind the dashboard? Must i use the one made by Ford? Do i need to have the dealer set anything up? Or am good to go? Thanks.
As has been said, yes - you can use your old one.

However - the Ford ITBC (Integrated Trailer Brake Controller) is truly integrated with your truck's systems, and I feel, like others have mentioned, that the Ford ITBC is well worth the money.

You can get one for something like $150. Here's an example on eBay for $160 for trucks built after Nov 2010:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-2011-2014-Ford-F-150-Trailer-Brake-Controller-Module-Towing-/250820008397?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AF-150&hash=item3a660999cd&vxp=mtr

Apparently if your truck was built before Nov 2010 you'll need a different part#, so make sure you check and get the correct part.

You can easily install it yourself - numerous threads here on the forum with info on the DIY.

However, you will need to take it to a dealer to get your truck flashed so it will recognize it and give you all the great features available. I've read that dealers charge from around $40 to more than $100 to do the several minute job of flashing your truck, so you might need to shop around to find the best dealer in your area to do it.

The INTEGRATED part of the controller is what makes the Ford OEM ITBC so nice. Take a look at the 2011 Owner's Manual in the link below - scroll down to page 270 to start reading about the features of the ITBC and how to adjust the gain:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../11f12og3e.pdf

No aftermarket controller can be rigged up to show anything in the instrument display like the OEM ITBC can.

The ITBC will show your gain output, and if your trailer is connected, or if while driving the cable becomes disconnected or the wiring has a fault it will show "Trailer Disconnected".

You can set up several different trailers (give them different names - Travel Trailer, Cargo Hauler, Utility Trailer, etc.) and that way you can keep track of the mileage on each different trailer for maintenance of hubs, tires, etc. of each trailer. It has a checklist to make sure your trailer is connected properly.

No aftermarket controller will do the things the ITBC will do. On page 273 you can read:
The TBC is equipped with a feature which reduces output at vehicle speeds below 11 mph (18 km/h) so trailer and vehicle braking is not jerky or harsh. This feature is only available when applying the brakes using vehicle's brake pedal, not the TBC.
Overall, I think the ITBC is well worth it!!

Below are a couple images of the instrument display.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by dcrabby
eventHorizon:

Are you saying that you don't use the brake in your tow vehicle to actuate the trailer brakes? OR, am I just mis understanding.?

All my controllers have had a slider or a twist **** to set the gain. The gain adjusts the pressure applied to the trailer brakes when I step on the tow vehicle brake pedal. It can be set so that the tow vehicle begiins to slow and then the trailer (it will feel like the trailer is pushing you). Or you can have the trailer slowing faster and it will feel like the trailer is resisting the pull of the tow vehicle. The idea is to balance all the brake so you stop with the tow vehicle in front and the trailer behind, and no skids. Once connected and ajusted you do not touch the controller to slow, stop, or start.

MY controllers also have an emergency button that I can press to lock up the trailer brakes in an emergency or during hook-up/disconnect

Is that what you are saying,?
You misunderstood me or I might not have explained it well.

When setting your gain you use what you are calling your "emergency button" which will activate your trailer brakes without touching your vehicle brakes. Once you have your gain set to the point that your trailer brakes come on to almost the point of lock up you're set to tow as normal using your normal brake pedal.

The only time I ever touch my "emergency button" again is if I ever get trailer sway or when in a parking lot going slow just to test my trailer brakes.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon Wisniewski
The f150 information window says 'trailer connected or disconnected'. Is this for informational purposes only or is there somekind of enhanced towing experience?
The Ford controller will also activate trailer sway control which in itself alone can be a god send if you've ever had that nasty experience at hwy speeds.

Yes you can use the aftermarket controller, you will have to run new wires all the way to the rear and splice it into your 7 pin connector but you will be much safer and have an easier more controlled (less stressful) towing experience with the Ford integrated controller. No extra wires or splicing or any of that.

Once you install the module you will need the dealer to activate it. Or someone that has IDS.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
The Ford controller will also activate trailer sway control which in itself alone can be a god send if you've ever had that nasty experience at hwy speeds.

Yes you can use the aftermarket controller, you will have to run new wires all the way to the rear and splice it into your 7 pin connector but you will be much safer and have an easier more controlled (less stressful) towing experience with the Ford integrated controller. No extra wires or splicing or any of that.

Once you install the module you will need the dealer to activate it. Or someone that has IDS.
This is incorrect. The aftermarket controller literally just plugs right into the plug under the dash (with either an adapter for true plug and play or a pigtail connector to the controller's wiring using butt connectors) it could not be easier. The adapter (or pigtail) is like $13 at Walmart or AutoZone/Napa/Etc. Very easy to find.

The only other splicing I had to do on my '07 was at the rear when adding the 7-way plug because my truck did not come with a tow package. However, I only needed to add about 1.5 feet of wire for two circuits. Easy peasy.

Quick Reply: must i use fords brake controller?