Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT Tires for Towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LT Tires for Towing

I am purchasing an RV with a max GVWR of ~7500 lbs. Currently, have stock tires on the truck. Is it worth it to get LT tires for towing or should I wait until the stock wears out enough and purchase then?

I am always looking for the safest and smoothest towing ride but don't know if the cost is needed at this point. Any thoughts?
Old 09-08-2016, 10:19 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Why not just try the stockers out and if they really suck than buy the LT's.
The following users liked this post:
jk70 (09-09-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 10:57 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm towing a trailer with the same GVWR as you. Most of the time, my rig tows great and I don't think tires would help at all. I'm waiting until the stockers wear out. I live in California, So I don't tow any faster than 55 mph or so. If anything, I think a set of Timbrens would help more than tires, and cost less. I haven't gotten around to installing any yet, though.
jk70 (09-09-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 11:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got back from a 400 mile round trip pulling almost an identically weighted travel trailer. I have the stock P rated tires and didn't have any issue. As someone told me, air em up and go for it.

In my research it seems the main benefit can be the stiffer sidewall which provides more stability in wind by reducing body roll. When I upgrade, I will probably go LT but strongly considering staying with a P rated tire to maintain power and mpg.
jk70 (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I swapped to LT and prefer them and I air them up to 60-70 lbs. Air up your stock tires to max and see how they feel to you. When not towing I lower back down to 50 psi and they ride great. I'm also getting 20mpg+ on the highway without the trailer.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

LT tires are an improvement for stability while towing but they are not essential. When your tires need replacement, I would go with Load Range C rather than Load Range E. LR E tires ride rougher and I think you would be unhappy. LR C is a better match for your truck. 50 PSI towing and 40 PSI when not towing.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Towing up to 5K pounds the P rated tires are OK...anything over that the LT tires offer more stability. I tow my son in laws 9K pound boat about 60 miles every so often on my P rated Toyo's and even aired up to the 44 psi max the rear feels like it sways more then running LT rated tires.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PawPaw
Towing up to 5K pounds the P rated tires are OK...anything over that the LT tires offer more stability. I tow my son in laws 9K pound boat about 60 miles every so often on my P rated Toyo's and even aired up to the 44 psi max the rear feels like it sways more then running LT rated tires.
I agree. As you can see there are more opinions than tires. Be safe. I have BFG KO2's and they are quiet and smooth. They do not affect my ride comfort.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 1,283 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
LT tires are an improvement for stability while towing but they are not essential. When your tires need replacement, I would go with Load Range C rather than Load Range E. LR E tires ride rougher and I think you would be unhappy. LR C is a better match for your truck. 50 PSI towing and 40 PSI when not towing.

P series tires are rated for exactly the same weight as LT load range D tires and for more weight than LT load range C tires. If you want to go up to an LT, then you might as well be running load range E tires.

The biggest advantage of LT's for most trucks is when carrying weight in the bed. P series tires will carry more weight than a 1/2 ton can handle anyway. LT's help on 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks.

For off road use most of the more aggressive tires are only available as LT's and the tougher sidewalls offer some protection when driving in rocks. The C and D rated tires are meant for lighter vehicles like Wranglers.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:25 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I would like to add one more thing to Mr. Mashallr and that is cheap LT's are no better than cheap P's. Stick to the big brand names and by the way Cooper tires are making some really highly rated P tires. As an example I had a tire man install a set of coopers for me and although he wasn't very big he was able to put most of his weight on the uninstalled tire with the tire upright and he achieved very little deflection.....solid. He then used 2 hands to push an LT rated Motomaster tire right to the floor. Don't buy junk.

Quick Reply: LT Tires for Towing