Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a trailer. Can my truck handle it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:33 PM
New guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking at buying a trailer. Can my truck handle it?

Hi guys,
I am looking at buying a flat bed equipment/car hauler type trailer 10,000lbs GVW. I currently have an 2011 4x4 XLT SuperCrew F-150 EcoBoost 5.5' bed not sure of rearend gears right now, but I can find that out pretty easily. It has a hitch so it has some kind of trailer package. I'll have to check the window sticker to be exactly sure. My main question is should I look at a new F-150 with the max tow package and a V8 or should I look at F-250's? Since they sticker close to the same (if you stay with a gas engine) I think it is pretty much a toss up. And if I bought a new truck it would still be a SuperCrew 4x4.
Thanks,
Jon
Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 PM
International man of Myst

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Without buying a HD Payload and MaxTow combination, my guess is that you will be over the rear axle weight rating once you load up the truck and the trailer. Maybe significantly over if you load the trailer heavy to the front. Really, it's about your tongue weight, and how much chit you want to put in the bed and the cabin. If it's more than the payload, you're hosed.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:57 PM
New guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I need to look at my door sticker to find out my exact payload. If I were to buy a F-250 I might consider a gooseneck, but I prefer a bumper pull trailer. We will see. I'll look at my current rig and figure out if it can even handle a trailer that big and go from there.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:26 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

The nice thing about flat-beds is that you can usually load them to get just the tongue weight you want.

And unless you're putting a big box on it, you can usually get away with only 10% tongue weight as sway will be less of a problem. And wind resistance should also be less of a problem.

So 10% of 10,000# is only 1000# tongue weight. If you have the MaxTow option, that should be within your receiver rating, and depending upon your current truck's payload it might just be fine. My tongue weight is 1130#, but my payload is 2050#, so it works for me.

If you don't have the MaxTow option though, you may have problems, and you could exceed the truck's GCWR.

The Ecoboost can handle it.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a trailer. Can my truck handle it?