Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy an F150 to tow SMALL 5th plus smaller boat

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking to buy an F150 to tow SMALL 5th plus smaller boat

Hello, I am a new member from Winnipeg, Manitoba, but I am a long time lurker. My family and I have quickly out grown our 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe, which quite frankly suits me as it has been nothing but problems (example: blown struts at 42000 kms). I have some questions about capacity before I start seriously shopping for a 1/2 ton.

Here is what we plan on doing: we want to start seasonal camping soon and our plan is to sell the Hyundai, get a truck and a small, used 5th wheel. We are looking at mid 90s to early 2000 models that are no bigger then 22.5 ft. I am not really sure what the pin weight would be on these models as I have just started looking. The pin weight and tow weight really can't be anything crazy. We will only tow with the water tank empty. Behind the 5th wheel, we would tow a 16 foot aluminum fish and ski boat with a 75 Hp motor. Really only weighs about 1700 lbs including the trailer and all the gear and gas. It is light. From what I have calculated, we would be pulling about 7700 lbs and certainly never more than 8000.

I would like to get the 5.0 V8 as I believe it will just have fewer problems than the Ecoboost. I am not completely adverse to the EB though. I want a 4x4 screw with 3.73 gears and a 6.5 ft bed. I want an XLT with the convienece package, and of course max tow. This should give me 9100 lbs towing and around 1570 lbs payload. Should be be enough capacity? Do I really need the HD payload package? You can't find those on the lot and I fear ordering if would put me over budget and be overkill anyway. I couldn't possibly be over my GVWR and payload, could I? Canada isn't as litigious as the US anyway, so no one would sue me, hahaha. Really though. What are your opinions? How can I switch options around to get more payload without adding the HD payload package? Seems the EBs have a bit more and if I go with a short box, I would have some more payload as well. Really have my heart set on 6.5 ft box though.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

payload pkg and max tow would top my list..then depends on the trailer weight..an ecoboost or 5.0...

the max tow to me would just benefit the transmission..

dont forget payload, includes you and family in the truck and fuel and any gear within..

my payload is 1680 with my setup 6.5ft. no payload package..

and the 6.5ft may help with the fifth wheel- no need for the extension on the trailer

Last edited by Steve Osborne; 08-08-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

In the US, Max Tow is only available with the Ecoboost or 6.2, so I think you mean the tow package for the 5.0L. My fiver has a DRY pin weight of 1410 lbs, loaded at 1650. With a payload of 1848 lbs, I am 500 lbs over (self, wife, dog and cat) , so don't under estimate. You can partly, but not legally, make up part of the lack of HD Payload with SuperSprings or RoadMaster Active Suspension (RAS), but I think you will better served with an Ecoboost with Max Tow for the extra 500 lbs payload. And go no higher than the XLT trim as each trim line above that decreases the payload. You need to make sure that you don't get a PullRite Superglide as that knocks 350 lbs off your payload. You can get a Reese manual slider that probably weighs 120 lbs instead.
And read at least the first half of this thread from a fellow country man:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/5th-wh...m-doing-52823/

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 08-08-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

Get a heavy duty payload package, I have that in the 5.0 XLT crew cab. You can order them pretty much any time. But in late August and early September you will find them on the lots for a short time. I know illusion ford in vineland nj has one that has been on the lot since last September. It's a light gold, 5.0 crew cab with the HD package. Ask for Dave sage and say Jeff J referred you.
It's a beautiful truck. That's where I bought mine.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

By the way the sticker for the payload will say 2200 approx. mine does.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by jeffinthebag
Get a heavy duty payload package, I have that in the 5.0 XLT crew cab. You can order them pretty much any time. But in late August and early September you will find them on the lots for a short time. I know illusion ford in vineland nj has one that has been on the lot since last September. It's a light gold, 5.0 crew cab with the HD package. Ask for Dave sage and say Jeff J referred you.
It's a beautiful truck. That's where I bought mine.
Unfortunately, I am in Canada. Thanks for the info though. I have not found a dealer in Winnipeg or surrounding with any F150 with the HD package.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Try going to the Ford build site. Build what you want (hint: pick the 3.73 LSD or you won't see the HD Payload option) and when you put your equivalent of zip code, they should show dealers with similar builds on hand..
Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
Try going to the Ford build site. Build what you want (hint: pick the 3.73 LSD or you won't see the HD Payload option) and when you put your equivalent of zip code, they should show dealers with similar builds on hand..
Unfortunately, it does not give me an options to show dealers with similar builds in stock. We don't really have time to look until September as we are going out for vacation. Of course my new struts come in the day before we go on a 1000 KM round trip and I have no time to get them installed.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

If you want to stay away from the ecoboost, you should also consider the 6.2l v8. Definitely go for the HD payload pkg. Also, since your thinking of towing a 5th wheel, 6.5' bed is almost a must.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 AM

I am curious as to why I would need the HD payload package? This will be a very small 5th wheel. If the pin weight is 600 lbs, I would be surprised. It might not be a bad option, I just think it would be money I do not have to spend. I am trying to pay cash for the truck or get as close as possible while still having the cash needed to buy the small 5th.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an F150 to tow SMALL 5th plus smaller boat