Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long-distance towing a toy with an F150.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Long-distance towing a toy with an F150.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with an F150. The primary reason is that I want to be able to tow my '04 Jeep Wrangler on a car hauler to various events in different states (and I want to be able to get home if I accidentally break something while off-roading in the Jeep).

That -- and I really like the layout of the CrewCab. Surprisingly roomy. A CrewCab is a definite requirement in my purchase.

Anyway, I think I'm finding some good deals under or at $21k for used F150s. Important information and features seem to be neglected in vehicle listings: I found a trailer brakes switch in one cab and it wasn't even listed in the description. I don't want to accidentally overlook something and totally screw myself.

I want to make sure I have more knowledge about what to look for as I go forward from here, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

If I'm reading the towing guide correctly, a turbocharged V6 has more towing capacity than a V8? Is that correct? Also, is there an easy way to identify gear ratios?
Old 02-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffreybomb
I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with an F150. The primary reason is that I want to be able to tow my '04 Jeep Wrangler on a car hauler to various events in different states (and I want to be able to get home if I accidentally break something while off-roading in the Jeep).

That -- and I really like the layout of the CrewCab. Surprisingly roomy. A CrewCab is a definite requirement in my purchase.

Anyway, I think I'm finding some good deals under or at $21k for used F150s. Important information and features seem to be neglected in vehicle listings: I found a trailer brakes switch in one cab and it wasn't even listed in the description. I want to make sure I have more knowledge about what to look for as I go forward from here, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

If I'm reading the towing guide correctly, a turbocharged V6 has more towing capacity than a V8? Is that correct? Also, is there an easy way to identify gear ratios?
The crew cabs are soooo roomy! Only place they possibly fall short is with the double moon roof, it lowers the back seat head room significantly (im 6'4" and my head rests on the ceiling in my dads 2015, not even close in my 2012) But leg room and comfort is AWESOME in them.

Yup the the 3.5 EB will out tow the 5.0. Lighter engine and greater low end torque.

Check the door jam for axle codes. Somebody posted up an awesome little axle code chart not long ago, cant find it but a quick bing search online will help find out.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Crew cabs definitely are roomy. I'm gonna assume you're looking at 2011 and newer trucks since you mentioned the Ecoboost motor.

To echo Berty, the door jam yellow/white sticker tells the tale as far as what axle ratio the truck has. Also, seeing the cab pictures and looking for a trailer brake controller is usually a good indicator of the max tow package.

How much does your trailer completely loaded weigh?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Try this:

http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Ford

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php
Old 02-09-2016, 09:36 AM

I've actually been looking at any recent years, not just the 2011+. Good to know about the EcoBoost, though! I'll have to keep that in mind as I shop.

Basically, I've been looking through Carmax's website. Their prices are usually close to KBB numbers. The only issue is that they list almost every F150 as having a towing capacity of 11,300 lbs. I'm pretty sure that's not correct for all the versions I find on their site.

My Jeep has a lot of aftermarket parts on it, so it probably weighs around 4,000 lbs.

Last edited by Jeffreybomb; 02-09-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffreybomb
I've actually been looking at any recent years, not just the 2011+. Good to know about the EcoBoost, though! I'll have to keep that in mind as I shop.

Basically, I've been looking through Carmax's website. Their prices are usually pretty close to KBB numbers.

My Jeep has a lot of aftermarket parts on it, so it probably weighs around 4,000 lbs.
In my area, I was at Carmax and the truck I almost bought there was half the truck I bought for the same price at my local dealership. (I mean XL bare bones with cosmetic issues vs Lariat with Max Tow in perfect condition) There's a lot of sucky dealerships, but when you find that one that is fair and nice to work with, you really walk away a winner!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:16 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Towing a jeep you may want to consider a 250. By the time you load up the jeep, and all the tools and equipment you probably carry (full tool box, camping gear, etc) that most of my friends going to flatnasty, Hannibal and other good midwest wheeling locales (based on that cubs logo) you're going to have any 1/2 ton truck overloaded. If you decide to go out west to Moab, there's no way I personally would want to have a jeep on a hauler behind me. I have a 2013 Screw, 4x4 with max tow package. My father in law's 2002 250 diesel tows a load like that (I had an XJ with a 4.5" lift) much more confidently.

Someone else will chime in, but that total towing capacity is basically a marketing number that includes your truck in the total figure.

CarMax won't negotiate price. If you're not in a huge hurry you should have no problem finding the truck you want at a local dealer for a price you like.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:29 PM

Yep, I'm in the Chicago area.

Another reason I'm considering the 150 is because it would double as my daily driver. I don't want something that's too terrible on gas. The long-distance towing thing would only happen two or three times a year.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I hear ya. If it were me personally, I would opt for a lower cost car for a daily driver and a 250 or 350. I would much rather have room to spare, than be right at max on a half ton truck. I've towed my father in law's travel trailer a couple times with my F-150 and even though it only weighs about 5,000lbs his F-250 feels much more confident with it. The extra weight was much appreciated in a crosswind. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck. The Ecoboost has been good to me. Gobs of power, and when it's not stupid cold outside it gets really good gas mileage if I keep my foot out of it. For what you're looking to do, it would work, but if I had a nice jeep to wheel I think I would spend less on an older 3/4 ton and use the money I save to go wheel more. 2 or 3 times a year wouldn't do it for me. That's a lot of the reason I let mine go.

I miss my XJ. Maybe some day I'll have another. 275,000 miles including two trips to Moab (one when it was bone stock, both driving to and from in it), and a few other good spots like Rockport (rip), Hannibal Rocks, and Flatnasty.

Baseball starts in a few days. It's going to be another exciting year in the NL central. GO CARDS!

Last edited by pilotpip; 02-10-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:48 AM

Actually, there's a decent number of trails around the Midwest, two of which can be easily done in a day. I hit those trails with friends often.

The goal with an F150 is to attend events further away. I attended two Jeep Jamborees: Moab in 2014 and Drummond Island in 2015. I drove the Wrangler to Drummond, but had the good fortune to haul with a borrowed Tundra for the trip to Moab (don't remember the year/trim of the Tundra, though).

As for baseball: this is going to be a crazy year. I'm really looking forward to it!

Quick Reply: Long-distance towing a toy with an F150.