Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking the rear axle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Locking the rear axle?

When is locking the rear axle appropriate? I don't have a trailer so I don't tow a lot, once in a while I borrow a trailer and will. BUT I do heat my home with coal so there are a lot of times I go and buy coal 1/2 a ton at a time and put it in the bed of my truck; did this a lot with my Dakota. I never know when to use certain features of a tow package.

For instance, my Dakota had a tow package and when I would get coal to haul I'd turn the over drive off; was that appropriate?

In this new F-150 it's got a lot of options for towing/hauling and I don't really know how to use it. So, if for instance I go buy 3/4 ton of coal and put it in the bed of my truck how do I setup the truck to haul it the most efficiently? Do I lock the rear axle?

I've never owned a truck this fancy before so I don't want to break anything. I've always owned beaters. I'm asking because the time to go start picking up coal for the season is drawing nearer.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lock the rear axle only when you're stuck & need to get out, or on a muddy road in 2WD.
My attitude is this: if I'm in 2WD and get stuck, I can put it in 4WD and lock the axle to get out. If I'm already in 4WD, have the axle locked, and get stuck I'll need a winch to get out.

For hauling coal just hit the "tow / haul" button and let the computer do its thing.
The following users liked this post:
TheTallest (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mbopp
Lock the rear axle only when you're stuck & need to get out, or on a muddy road in 2WD.
My attitude is this: if I'm in 2WD and get stuck, I can put it in 4WD and lock the axle to get out. If I'm already in 4WD, have the axle locked, and get stuck I'll need a winch to get out.

For hauling coal just hit the "tow / haul" button and let the computer do its thing.
Thank you. I wasn't sure when to use certain features and that helped a lot.

How much coal do you think I'd be able to fit in a 5.5' bed? My Dak I could barely put 1/2 a ton in. I'm thinking I could probably do 3/4 ton? Sound reasonable?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your GVWR and then figure out how much the coal will weigh. Tow haul mode simply keeps the RPM's up so that the engine and tranny aren't trying to figure out what gear to be in. Saves wear and tear on the tranny. Also, tow haul mode is a big help when it comes to braking.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTallest
Thank you. I wasn't sure when to use certain features and that helped a lot.

How much coal do you think I'd be able to fit in a 5.5' bed? My Dak I could barely put 1/2 a ton in. I'm thinking I could probably do 3/4 ton? Sound reasonable?
You don't say what truck you have. I've consitanly hauled 3/4 ton in my 2007 FX2 Sport Screw w/5.5' bed with no problem.

I now have a 2012 STX 4x4 w/6.5' bed. Comparing the springs, when I traded, it looked like they were a little heavier on the 2012, plus the truck is lighter.

I'll start with 3/4 T. and maybe, give 1T. a try, if it seems like it hauls the 3/4 T. without difficulty.

You could probably "fit" 1T. of Anthracite in the 5.5' box. .. maybe not Bi.

Last edited by tmajor; 07-17-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by tmajor
You don't say what truck you have. I've consitanly hauled 3/4 ton in my 2007 FX2 Sport Screw w/5.5' bed with no problem.

I now have a 2012 STX 4x4 w/6.5' bed. Comparing the springs, when I traded, it looked like they were a little heavier on the 2012, plus the truck is lighter.

I'll start with 3/4 T. and maybe, give 1T. a try, if it seems like it hauls the 3/4 T. without difficulty.

You could probably "fit" 1T. of Anthracite in the 5.5' box. .. maybe not Bi.
Sorry, it's a 2013 F-150 XLT with the 3.5 Ecoboost and 5.5' bed.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

How much coal do you think I'd be able to fit in a 5.5' bed?
Assuming you don't want to abuse your pickup and shorten it's life, then you don't want to be overloaded. Look on the driver's doorpost and you'll see a max payload number, highlighted in yellow. That's the most weight you can haul without being overloaded, and not even that much if you already have options such as a spray-in bedliner, or any other weight such as passengers, pets or tools in the cab. My SuperCrew 4x2 EcoBoost with 6.5' bed says 1,366 max payload. That's not quite ¾ ton.

Last edited by smokeywren; 07-17-2013 at 01:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
avvblanc01 (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be sure to look at the GVRW sticker on the door before I load it up with coal.

Quick Reply: Locking the rear axle?