Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loading The Travel Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loading The Travel Trailer

I have a couple questions....can you adjust the tongue weight by loading your trailer with more items in the back of the trailer?

Also, what is the reason your truck starts "bouncing and lurching forward" when you hit the brakes while towing? Does it mean there's not enough weight on the hitch? If so, what's the minimum tongue weight % you should have?

Thank You in advance for the help.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcatsteve
I have a couple questions....can you adjust the tongue weight by loading your trailer with more items in the back of the trailer?

Also, what is the reason your truck starts "bouncing and lurching forward" when you hit the brakes while towing? Does it mean there's not enough weight on the hitch? If so, what's the minimum tongue weight % you should have?

Thank You in advance for the help.
Yes you can move weight around in the trailer to control your hitch weight...Physics 101 my friend. Think of your trailer as a see-saw with the pivot point being the trailer wheels and the heavier guy at one end of the see-saw your hitch.

If trailer movement happens only when you hit the brakes the first thing I'd look at is are your trailer bakes working correctly. If the brakes are good then I'd look at the weights on the axles (truck and trailer) and hitch weight. Absolute minimum hitch weight I'd be wanting to see is 10%.

Last edited by EventHorizon; 03-23-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

Answer to first question: yes
Answer to second question: Several possibilities. Binding trailer ball, trailer brakes/brake controller not operating properly or out of adjustment. Main symptom of not enough trailer tongue weight is uncommanded trailer sway (side-to-side motion).
Answer to third question: Check your trailer owners manual. Most recommend 12% 10 15%
Old 03-23-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes, you can adjust tongue weight by how you load the trailer. BUT, you should not have less than 12 to 15% of the total weight on the tongue. Excessive rear loading can result in trailer sway issues. And make sure the trailer is level to slightly down at the tongue to reduce the possibility of sway.

I'm guessing your trailer brakes may not be working properly?

Get on a parking lot, preferably gravel, go about 25 mph, make sure nobody is around you, apply the trailer brakes manually (fully on) with your brake controller, your trailer tires should skid.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:54 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

The more tongue weight the better the tow, it helps reduce sway. So that's good, unless it exceeds your truck's weight limits.

For high wall travel trailers that catch the wind, 12-15% is good.

But for boat trailers and flat beds, people here have said they tow as low as 5-10% without problems.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:06 PM

Thank you to everyone for the responses! One more problem I've been having is when I slow down or take off, I get a "jerking" motion from the trailer.

I'm gonna check the brakes, tongue weight and the load distribution closer this next trip..
Old 03-24-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcatsteve
One more problem I've been having is when I slow down or take off, I get a "jerking" motion from the trailer.
Don't mean to say this in an insulting way but you have the right size ball for the coupler right??
Old 03-24-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Keep in mind your going to feel the trailer back there. I know I do at 6100 pounds. You'll feel it bucking and pulling the truck a bit. As long as you still feel in control its ok. Unless of course somethings wrong with my setup. Mine looks good though I think:

Loading The Travel Trailer-image-3108011714.jpg
Old 03-24-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

Are the boat brakes surge brakes or electric?
Old 03-25-2016, 09:30 AM

Electric Brakes. I'm going to check the ball size this weekend, but it's the one the dealership put on for me. It just seems to be a little to "jerky" at a lower speed. Of course cruising down the highway, it's fine.

Quick Reply: Loading The Travel Trailer