Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted pulling a 5th wheel?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifted pulling a 5th wheel?

04 F150 Fx4 6" lift 35's just sold my camper looking to upsize and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of pulling a 5th wheel with a lifted truck, height to the top of my bed rails is 61" I'm looking at a later model camper 01..only thing I can think to do is flip the springs on the camper to give me some more height..any input would be great, thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

My neighbor is pulling a 5er with his lifted dodge. He had to lift the 5th wheel to get it to sit right, I believe he flipped the axle like you mentioned.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck6105
04 F150 Fx4 6" lift 35's just sold my camper looking to upsize and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of pulling a 5th wheel with a lifted truck, ...
You have two problems with doing what you want to do.

Most serious is only the smallest, lightest-weight 5er can be towed with most F-150s without exceeding the GVWR of the F-150. In other words, you're going to be overloaded.

The lift and tall tires destroys the towing capability of your truck, so even a "bumper-pull" TT has to be a tiny lightweight thing if you want to be safe and not overloaded.

Lifting the 5er by so-called "flipping the axles" will gain you about 4" additional clearance between the top of the bed and the underside of the trailer's overhang. With a 6" lift on the F-150, that might not be enough to give you the minimum 6" clearance you need, even with a late-model 5er.

Double check by measuring the distance from the bottom of the trailer's overhang to the ground when the trailer is level front to rear. The truck will squat an inch or so when the hitch weight is applied, so the lifted trailer should have a minimum of 66" from ground to underside of the overhang.

So I would forget about a 5er and look for a TT or foldup camper trailer that won't overload your F-150.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lifted pulling a 5th wheel?